Need a buddy I'm in west texas

terrismom

Hi, itS been nearly 10 months since this terrible ride started with my daughter. I don't post much because I don't know a lot about this terrible thing called cancer. I lot my father to lung cancer in 1980 a sister in law, a brother in law, but nothing prepared me to loose a daughter. Just isn't the way it is suppose to happen.

At this point she is doing pretty good. Cancer markers have started to rise again.

Is there anyone one here that is close to this area that would like to just talk ? Even though I have other grown children, and a wonderful husband, it still feels like I have to fight this alone.

Thanks

Terrismom

Monell

Hi, Monell, welcome to the group. You're absolutely right that "this isn't the way it's supposed to happen." It's encouraging that your daughter is doing pretty well at present, and I can certainly understand her having a problem with Cisplatin. While some people tolerate that agent okay, for me it was by far the most difficult of all the chemos I've had in 3 years of treatment, so I had only one session of it.

We do have some members who are in a situation similar to yours, though not very many, and I hope a couple of them will be contacting you soon. But the amount of support you might get from another member probably depends more on that person's ability to empathize and express their thoughts than on a close match-up in your personal situations. Also, distance is really meaningless. These days when you talk with someone by phone or chat on the internet, it makes little difference whether that person is in the next room or halfway around the world. I feel quite close to several people in the group who are thousands of miles away, I've never met, and probably never will. The fact that we're all dealing with the same life-threatening disease strips away a lot of barriers and allows us to communicate on a very basic level. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Your right Ned, Distance makes no difference. This is such a terrible ride, it doesn't make much difference which side of the world your on. She had two treatments of that terrible combo. It just about killed her. Even though it's been 3 months since she had that one, she has just started eating the past 2 weeks. Even the dr thought she was going to starve todeath. It seems if she is on the steriods, she eats, if not she can't eat anything. The dr says there is no reason for her not to be eating. She has two different nausea meds. But they make no difference. The onc has had a test done called KRES> Have you heard of this one? From what I've read online, it hasn't been used on lung cancer very long. He has her scheduled for cemo. in two more weeks, but he did not tell us which one. He is suppose to have the results back by now so don't know if the cemo will be based on the results of that test or what. She says she don't think she will go trough the cemo again, that she would rather feel better for how ever long she has than to be in bed sick. So guess we will see what he comes up with.

With her markers climbing again I hate for them to wait to long.

Anyway sorry to write a book. Must hate the waiting and not knowing how this is all going to go.

Prayers to you, and everyone on here

Thank You

Monell

I'm not famiiar with a "KRES" test. You might want to post a question at cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). GRACE is led by Dr. Howard "Jack" West, a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions online. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here. They're not permitted to give specific medical advice to someone who isn't their patient, but the docs at GRACE have a knack for laying out all of the considerations and options in a way that is very helpful.

Aloha,

Ned

• 1 year later...

Arent these people despicable hitching a ride on our forums,to sell their wares?I was about to respond to the original post,when luckily I spotted the post date.Nearly made a chump of myself.If I could get my hands on this fellah,he would be wearing his shoes in his mouth.