Hands Down -- The Best Book I've Found on Grieving

Ry

• 2 years later...

I am almost through this book and I agree it offers some excellent insight. I particularly liked that she said people always say they wish they "had done this" or "they hadn't done that" when they were going through the grief process but that it was all part of the journey to the person you become. I paraphrased that but you get the idea.

I suspect people will look askance at some of the things I do and I so do not care - we have this one wonderful life with all it's joy and pain and we should really live it. Lung cancer, my husband, our journey - they will always be part of who I am regardless of what happens next. And I'm starting to look forward to the idea of new adventures I have yet to experience. I want to bring some laughter and joy to this world, not just reflect on my losses.

• 3 weeks later...

Hang on to the book, I think I read various chapters over and over, marked it up, sticky noted it and used it a long time. I have bought at least 8 more copies and given them to people and I am in the process of buying another for someone that recently lost her husband.

It's also written so that it can be read out of order. You can skip chapters you're not ready for and move on.

I am glad you like it --

I not only like it, I have started back through it. I'm seeing a lot

of things I missed the first reading and I'm more aware, I guess, instead of numb. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm going to pick this up and check it out. My 26-yr old nephew was killed a year ago and while my sister-in-law seems to be doing as well as can be expected, my brother is really struggling. I just don't know how to help him. I'm going to check this out and maybe send it to him. Thanks!