Hi Im new here

ddiana06

Hi Im new here referred by someone whom said she used to live on this site when her mom was diagnosed with cancer and she said you all are great people.

My name is Debbie and I have Lung Cancer and HepC possibly early stage cirrosis. Im scheduled to have a Lung Resection. Im hoping someone here can give me some info for what I am in for, the only thing is the doc said because of my HepC they most likely will have to do a large incision to make sure she's safe and her team so idk has anyone had this done? Thanks so much deb :wink:

Welcome. I don't know why a large incision would be "safer" for them.

I had a large incision because it was 11 years ago and the tumor was up under my color bone.

A lot of people now have it done with less "trauma"

The most important thing you need to be greatful for is you are operable!!!! Keep us posted.

Donna G

No surgery here either but is it too late or possible for a second opinion? It's probably worth the trouble when you're questioning their remarks re cutting you.

Welcome to our wondeful family. Your friend did good to refer you here.

Judy in Key West

Hi Debbie

I had my upper left lobe removed 2 years ago. Originally they were just going to do a wedge resection but decided in the operating room to remove the lobe. I just have 2 scars that are maybe 4" long each. I had VATS surgery and it is alot less intrusive than the large operation of years ago. I had my surgery on Friday morning and was released from the hospital on Monday morning.

Wow thanks everyone well surgery is set for November 4th yes in 3 days and Im not gonna do the second opinion thing as Ive been told by many that Im at the best hospital I could be, that I was in good hands. I think the larger incision is so that there is less potential for them digging around a small incision where there may be more of a chance of one of them getting poked therefore contracting HepC but idk I am supposed to have the lung resection but it does say I may have the wedge thing done too depending on what they see when they get in there. Do you think their are high risks with this? Im still sneeking a smoke here and there which I know what do I need a cast iron skillet to hit me in the head? :oops: But thanks to all of you for your advice but Im gonna go ahead and get it done "get her done" lol Im trying to stay in good spirits but I have my moments. But I will update you all when I get home probably friday or Sat. Thanks for the welcome. I feel at home already. thanks alot :wink: deb

Hi, Deb, sorry I didn't respond sooner. A number of surgeries (mine is a case in point) start out as a less invasive scope procedure, then transition to a longer incision (thoracotomy) because the surgeon finds he/she can't get to everything via the 2 or 3 small openings.

Here's a post I wrote a good while ago about my thoracotomy and the recovery therefrom, with 3 suggestions that I frequently make to people about to undergo the procedure. All in all, mine wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected:

http://onctalk.com/bbPress/topic.php?id=460&replies=3

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Debbie,

A VATS procedure would be safer for the Docs in the long run as it is done arthroscopically and you loose less blood, decreasing the Docs and nurses exposure. But you still face the risk that they could not get it all and would still have to to do the bigger incission (I cannot spell today to save my life...lol) Also the recovery time is much less and not as hard on your body. It might be worth it to ask.

Altho, I have not had laproscopic surgery for lobectomies and such I have had one for a gall bladder removal and a hysterectomy. Much easier and faster recoveries. After the gall bladder surgery, I was back up and running the next day. Hysterectomy took a little longer but really only took about a week with the except to both that I could not pick up anything heavier than 10 lbs. for 6 weeks regardless.

Dawn

Hi to all of you and thanks for so much info, Im must say though alot of the procedures that you all spoke of and used the letters to shorten the name I have no clue what they are but here is my situation when I had my Pet Scan done I had 8 lymphnoids going down the middle of my lungs that lit up and one nodule on my lung that lit up but after biopsy they tell me the lymphnoids were not cancerous, I ask why did they light up then and they replied they could of been inflammed which is how I found the nodule to begin with was a trip to the ER over acid reflux. Now this surgeon says they will remove the nodule by doing this lung resection but it lists as one of you said that it could be this or that depending on what they see when they get in there, so is it better to have the long incision so they can see that they are getting it all? Im sorry for all the ?'s its getting close to the date and Im getting very nervous. I remember my gallbladder got removed right before they came out with the three whole thing so I had a large incision for that and for a cessarion with my first daughter who turned 16 today. I just worry that my liver with the Hep C and possible early stage of scirrosis that can my liver handle this I would hope that if they thought is couldnt they would not of told me I was operable. The thing that really stinks is as soon as I recover from the cancer removal they want to start me on interferon for my liver which I hear is almost like chemo. Im just so scared not so much for me but for my mom and 2 kids and their dad I dont want them to lose me at such a young age I want to be here for them and its real hard to pretend everything is ok, Ive downplayed how bad it is to them but had to tell them about the cancer and liver problems so they have an idea of whats going on. Im just so scared. You guys are all really cool folks and I wish you health and happiness and thanks for pulling for me. :wink:

Debbie,

Being scared is understandable. I completely understand your wanting to protect your family, but you are going to need them. I suspect it will be better in the long run for them to be fully informed so they can help you. It's a different story with children, but you need at least one adult who is up to speec who can serve as your advocate when you are recovering.

I'll be saying prayers that everything goes well on Wednesday.

Susan

Thanks Susan,

Yes I agree I live with my mom and am still with my kids father after 25yrs but due to addiction problems we dont live together just me and the 2 girls, but my mom will take good care of the kids as the hospital is 125 miles away from my home they wont be able to visit as she is giving him the car to tend to my needs while in the hospital and when I get released. Important point both of us are in recovery we both had very serious addiction problems yrs ago, but thanks for looking out for me. They beings my mom and hubby (I call em, hell after 25 yrs) are well aware of my situation and the seriousness of it. You know the girl who sent me to this site is a surgical nurse and she see's this type of surgery done all the time she says and has really made me feel better but I do realize I dont know how bad it is till they get in there and see. Any other ?'s or advice I love getting both funny just as I was typing this the hospital called and told me that I had to have 1 more test done a respirtory test and I told her I did that already the nurse found it and said good then thats all :shock: and who was it that told me I was in good hands lol???) another nurse will call and tell me all the fasting and stuff like that later today or tommorrow. Thanks again as I can use any info I can get my hands on and I think you all since you've either been there or are going like me are the best people to talk to. deb :wink:

Hey Debbie,

I smoked right up until the day of surgery. I was sucking cigs down all the way to the hospital. That was the last day I smoked. I was in the hospital for a week, I figured that would be a good time to quit. I also took Chantix that really helped. Good Luck and Prayers on the way to you and your family.

Dana

Jstdzy, that will be me I know it although I did cut back 1 whole pack a day I used to smoke 2 packs a day so to me I feel like Ive done something about it but surgeon says it doesnt matter if its one or 2 packs so I have a rx for chantix at the pharmacy that I could not afford to pick up and told them to hold it maybe I can get through the hospital? Is that the way you did it? I figured that would be my quit date. :roll: You know as a recovering addict Ive given up all my vices and I feel like a little kid having to give up my last toy. As sick as that sounds, I know I could have worse problems if I keep smoking like emphysema or COPD so I am really gonna quit. Thanks for telling me that now I dont feel like such an nutcase. I hope that didnt sound bad but you KWIM dont ya? Thanks hon ttyl deb :wink:

I had my last cigarette on the hospital steps before going in for my surgery. I always joke that when they cut into my lung a puff of blue smoke came out. That was over 2 years ago and I didn't take anything to help quit after smoking for 30 years. I guess I finally had the right incentive.

Well Bruce I hope I have the same incentive as you did. I see you show your clear now Im so happy for you. Thanks for making me feel not so bad that Im still puffing but Im just so nervous. Well everyone please say a prayer for me or well wishes that this goes good Im leaving tommorow early for my MIL's house cause its half way to the hospital Ill spend the night and surgery on Wednesday so Im hoping to talk to all of ya by Saturday, thank you all so much for all your help, advice, and well wishes know that I wish you all the same. ttys :wink:

Diana--there's no right or wrong way to go through this. You do what you have to to get through. I'm glad your sense of humor is intact because it helps--alot! Oh and no one deserves this diease. Smokers and nonsmokers alike get it. It will help to quit, but the sad truth is you could have gotten it even if you had never picked up a cigarette.

I'll be praying for you tomorrow! I'm betting that dreading it will be worse than actually doing it. When you are able let us know how you are doing and remember that we will be here for you!

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fillisie I dont know how I missed this post but Ive been in alot of pain since the surgery, I have an appt tommorrow to hopefully get me some help. Im also a recovering addict so I had one hell of a hospital stay was treated real bad. But I also have liver problems too. But it hurts to sit in my computer chair so I havent been online much lately Ill let ya know what they say tommorrow as far as getting me some relief. deb :wink:

• 1 month later...