Chemo with bad reaction

fillise

Mom had her fourth treatment with Carbo/Alimta today and had a very bad reaction to the Carbo. Apparently the risk of this increases with prolonged exposure to Carbo. This was her 14th treatment with Carboplatin. She got clammy and couldn't breathe. Her blood pressure dropped very low and she broke out in a rash. They administered steriods and Benadryl and she seems fine now. Tired, but fine.

Anyone else had an experience with this?

Susan

When Johnny had his 7th treatment with Carboplatin he had a bad reaction to it. At first his skin was like ice then in less than 10 minutes he had a fever of almost 104. By the time I got him to the emergency room his blood pressure had dropped dangerously low as well.

We were told that the platnum builds up in your body and sooner or later everyone has a reaction to it. I was never quite certain that was what his problem was so reading this answers a question I had been asking for a very long time.

They said that Johnny just had his reaction sooner than most. It didn't start while it was being given to him. It started about 3 hours after we got home. Still it was very scary.

Mom had her fourth treatment with Carbo/Alimta today and had a very bad reaction to the Carbo...Anyone else had an experience with this?

No, but I'm aware of it, and had a discussion with my onc about the possibilities a few months ago. I had read, and he confirmed, that the reaction is not necessarily during the infusion, but can occur days later, and thus be falsely attributed to something else. I had my 16th Carboplatin infusion today (6 with Taxol/Avastin back in 2006-2007), and 10 with Alimta so far this year.

Ned

I had a reaction too. Very similar to your Mom's, I was given a benedryl shot and slept it off for about 3-4 hours.

I was changed to Cisplatin, which I believe took longer to infuse but no reaction at all to the replacement drug.

I always smile when I see my drug allergy list, carboplatin is always listed but the chances of most people even knowing what it is are slim to none.

Geri

Maryanne,

That was her LAST treatment with Carbo! All if the chemo she has ever had has had carbo in it, but they were spread out over almost 3 years. 4, then an 18 month break. 6 and a 6 month break and then the last four since August.

She is getting scans on the 17th and then we'll see where to go from there.

Susan