My Stepmom died today

Sheri

She had a stroke, it was sudden. I'm grateful that we were on good terms when she left but I am feeling an enormous guilt. My Dad wanted me to financially take care of her when and if he died. She lost his pension and his SS income.

As some of you remember, I didn't have that opportunity. My Uncle stepped right in and claimed he right to survivorship to my Dad's house from an old deed. He claimed the second mortgage my Dad and Stepmom took out was illegal because he didn't sign.

Therefore, I didn't make half the mortgage payments as I promised my Dad. I didn't want pay for a property that I had no legal interest in. Her last two years were a struggle, the house was in foreclosure because she couldn't pay the second mortgage or the taxes.

We're having a family meeting with the Uncle tomorrow at 10:00 AM at my Dad's house. I'm still in shock, but I do wonder if I failed my Dad by not making her last two years better. It's overwhelming, almost like I lost my Dad all over again.

Love is more important than Money.. Should not have any guilt I think you did what was best and what You could do! You and Mom were good when she passed and you should take joy in that fact alone right there!!!

My thoughts Prayers and Condolences.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't feel guilt over your stepmom's situation. I know that you wouldn't have let her be out on the streets, and I'm sure she knew who the "bad guy" was in this story. She knew she could count on you if she needed it, and that's what counts.

My condolences on the loss of your mom. I agree with the others that the fact that you and your mom were good when she died is what is really important. As for your uncle, the saying goes "there's one in every family." It usually refers to how people behave when there is something to be gained financially when a relative dies. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that these past two years.

Judy in Key West