My husband has lung cancer

donnamex

hello my name is donna, Im 45 yrs old, and my whole world has so changed this year. My husband of 26 yrs have been missionaries 650 miles down inside old mexico for the past 19 yrs.

In march of this year, our car burnt up on the side of the road, mind you this is 650 miles inside mexico, i was all alone except my teacup poodle she was with me... and our son (which is a missionary also in mexico) brought my husband and i to the texas border to try to take care of all paper work on the car. My husband has COPD and Emphysema real bad anyway, so he was on Oxygen some, so when he was sick we thought he had pnemonia and so we took him to the doctors and they put him in the hosp. with pnemonia in both lungs, and then exrays showed a mass in right lung, and yes it was lung cancer, stage 3b squamous cell carcinoma given 18 mos. with treatments, so he has went thou one round of treatments, and now they are saying that they can not see any mass, so im not sure if the cancer is gone or if they are just not telling us.. anyway now we are staying at a church on the texas border, My husband which i call dad has not been doing good at alll he is now on oxygen 24 hrs a day and has been in and out of the hosp. with pnemonia. he has so much pain. he has went down soo fast in the past 6 months. Its breaking my heart to see him fight for breath... do please pray for us... as we go thourgh this life changing odeal.

thank you

Hi Donna. Sorry you had to find us but this is the place to get support for what you and your family are going through. I'm IIIb also, adenocarcinoma. I urge you not to listen to a prognosis of how long your husband has to live. Those numbers are based on statistics. Here at LCSC we emphasize we are not statistics, we are individuals. If you check out the thread on Late Stage Survivors in the General forum, you will see the list of survivors that keeps growing.

I don't think the doctors would tell you the mass is gone if it were not. If by "one round of treatments" you mean they aggressively attacked the tumor with a half dozen chemos or with radiation treatments, it would not be unheard of for the tumor to disappear. It sounds like his respiratory issues are unresolved pneumonia. I assume the doctors need to get that under control before he starts feeling better.

It's late tonight but this is the place to receive prayers and positive thoughts and energy for your husband's speedy recovery.

Judy in Key West

The one thing that you will find we all advocate here is Hope. Each person is different and each will react differently to treatment. I am also a true believer that God does listen and answer or prayers. When we face an obstical it is because we have to learn something to pass on to someone else. I am sure I don't need to say this to you sense you are a missionary.

I think cancer is one of the most frightening words that you will ever hear. Some of the people on this board have been in a battle with it for years, others have faught and won for years. Still others are caregivers or those of us who lost someone to lung cancer. It matters little when it comes to support. We are here. You will find many people here to relate to. You will also find tears and laughter and above all you will find HOPE. As I am sure you know no one can live without hope. That is why we thumb our noses at statistics.

So I will add my voice and welcome you. Please feel free to turn here anytime you need to. You will be surprised how much it helps just to have someone "listen" even if it is on line.

Hi Donna. Now reading your post I see where you got your name, Mex just might have something to do with the fact your in Mexico! I am one of the fortunate long term survivors. I was not Stage I , I had lots of treatments. I also have a huge church that prayed for me and I do believe that makes a difference. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Donna,

Welcome to a wonderfully supportive group of survivors and/or caregivers. It is very scary to hear the words lung cancer. But, Donna, with treatments on the agenda, and hopeful thoughts, getting through it all can be done.

There are many long-term survivors. As has been stated before me, we are not numbers.

Barbara

I am so sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I am not clear from your post if you are in the U.S. now or still in Mexico. You may want to consider getting a second opinion as to what your treatment options are. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

• 1 month later...

thank you for caring..

Yes we have been very busy, my husband has not had any other tests done, since one round of chemo and radation,, i think he may just be scared, not sure, the last xray that was done said they cant find the mass, so he is taking that as God has taken care of it, BUT i have faith but i also see my husband he is going down very fast, march this year will be one year since they spotted the mass. He going into hosp, like every two months since then,, and in nov they put him in and took off 1 liter of fluid from around his right lung, they did give good news that the fluid was free from cancer cells, amen..

as of right now we are back home in Mexico, and he sleeps most of the time, but atleast he is still with me amen,, thanks for caring and asking about us,,,