Duke of Earl - Chapter 52

ginnyde

Really don't have much to post, but I know I like being kept up to date about my friends here.

Earl had his 4th Carbo/Taxol treatment on 12/22 - Merry Christmas. He is not a happy camper. While he has been nauseous before, this time (on Christmas Day) was the first time he truly got sick. We drove to our daughters with a bucket. Oh the joys of this d--- disease.

He has a travelling joint pain. One day his knee, the next his shoulder, then his wrist. Tylenol takes care of that.

His biggest problem is weakness and fatigue and I mean extreme weakness. Sometimes, if he lays on the couch, I have to pick his legs up for him.

Does anyone know if after the chemo it would be a good idea for Earl to get PT to help build his strength back up? Any ideas would be appreciated.

His next CT is 1/9. The dr. said this presents 3 options: 1. If tumors are growing, we stop this regime and try another one, 2. If tumors stable, then he and Earl decide if he can tolerate the last two chemos, and 3. If tumors are responding and shrinking then he will have the last 2 chemos.

In many ways our holidays have been normal. We have gone to every party and family gathering we just leave earlier than usual and Earl does his socializing from the couch. Not bad because all of our women friends flock around him to rub his bald head and bring him drinks and goodies to eat. His complaint is that he becomes the captive audience to every boring person that stops by.

We keep our spirits up and we stay optimistic. We don't know how else to live and live is what we want to do - today and tomorrow.

I hope 2004 brings all of us good news - new drugs, new treatments - whatever it takes.

I really care about all of you and while I haven't posted as often (I am now working) I read this site every day and think of you all.

God bless us all.

Ginny

Oh man, do I feel for Earl not being able to escape a bore at a party. :roll: Poor guy. Thanks for the chapter in the ongoing saga of the Duke (theres that music again :P ).

Not sure about the PT Ginny but I do remember reading that exercise as tolerated will help with the muscle fatigue. John was also extrememly tired with his chemo.

All the best to the Duke 8)

I can feel for the Duke, having had my 3rd round of Chemos on the 23, 24 and 26th. This left me watching Christmas from the couch, fortunatly we don't have any really bad bores in the family, and I only did family parties this year. This round has really left me exhausted, the Procritt is only keeping me from bottoming out, my counts are still really low, and nothing I can do for it. So I rest and try not to get too blue from cabin fever. I got out to the movies today and that helped a lot. But wow I am tired! I hope to resume walking in a day or two as that does seem to help, I just walk verrrry slow! :D

Hang in there Duke it will get better!

Betty

Ginny

Happy to hear about the Duke, your posts are always so positive and uplifting that they make me feel good too! Yes people can and do live with cancer and the Duke and many more of us are living proof.

My daughter is an occupational therapist and has worked in rehab facilities for 15 years and she also stongly recommends physical therapy for anyone who has gone through a traumatic illness. After my husbands last heart surgery she wanted him to have it but of course he would not listen but I think his recovery would have been a lot swifter if he did have therapy.

Bess B

Ginny, not sure about the PT, but I do think that it is worth looking into. Just wanted to say that I hope that the New Year brings you both much happiness and prayers answered. Take care, and tell Earl to ease up on the charm-he dosn't want to get himself into any trouble. Take care, Deb

Ginny,

I am glad to see your post. I was just thinking about you.

I'm sorry the Duke wasn't feeling so hot during Christmas. I will be praying that 2004 brings regression and remission for Earl. I am praying every day for a cure for us all.

I don't have any information on PT, I just wanted to send you out my love, and I really hope you're feeling better real soon.

Love Always

Carleen

Hi Ginny,

I check in several times a week to see how everyone is doing. It sounds like you and Earl had a good Christmas - considering. The women rubbing his head can't be all bad. Keep plugging away - I can tell by your attitude and spirit that 2004 will be a good year for you and the "Duke". About physical therapy - when Ada and I would ask doctors about it they almost always said that regular exersise was good. When Ada was getting chemo we would go to the YMCA regularily. She would walk in the indoor track for about a half hour at a time. I think it helped her physically - I know it helped her mental attitude. She felt that as long as she was exercising she was staying strong - and it gave her a feeling a accomplishment. Anyhow, I am thinking of you and everyone else out there - have a great new year. (I went to Will Eye Hosp. in Phila. earlier this month - good news - no treatments needed, just monitoring)

Jim

Yes an exercise program is in order. I went to the Y and took water aerobics. It turned out that I read at the Alcase site about a lung cancer survivor who developed a lung rehab program that stressed how exercise in the water is great. He wrote an article and the docs recommended his idea that worked for him. In the water you exersise your chest muscles without trauma and you avoid the wear and tear on your joints that happens if you exersise on land ( as running or jogging is hard on the knees) Actually the resistants in the water even makes it more beneficial. I wouldn't go to a public pool unless your WBCs are normal. Keep us posted Donna G

Sounds like Earl will enjoy the New Years celebrations. Jim is a little vain about his bald head. So only attends social functions that a baseball cap looks acceptable. I'll tell him about all the women that Earl is attracting. Jim had his 5th infusion Monday. New Years we will sleep through. With each treatment he is flushed for a couple of days. Also like Earl he has joint pain. Says his knees feel like rubber. The joint pain last about a week. All the best for you and Earl for the coming year treatments that work and new ones on the way. Carolyn

Does anyone know if after the chemo it would be a good idea for Earl to get PT to help build his strength back up? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ginny, yes, PT is a good idea. All the research now is showing that more activity, not more rest, is the best treatment for chemo-induced fatigue. One of my doctoral advisors did some of the first research on this, her name is Dr. Anna Schwartz, and it is proving true time and time again. Controlled exercise is the way to build strength back up and battle fatigue. I know "the Duke" can't really exercise much now, but any degree of activity is better than none. Good luck to you both, Teresa

Ginny, was glad to see this post. I was getting a little concerned.

I would think a little PT would be great. I know when Buddy was getting chemo, he forced himself to walk some in the neighborhood. He was building up so strength until the colon showed problems.

Just invite over some of those head rubbers and he will get up and out fast.

Am very happy things are working out and await to hear about his good results in the near future.