Disorientation, Delirium

Guest searching4insight

Guest searching4insight

This topic is related to the other message I posted related to the effects of morphine or Xanax but more general in seeking input. My father (stage 4, 3 brain mets treated with 10 full brain radiation, mets to adrenal, lymphnodes, both lungs; received 1 round taxol/carbo while in hospital on vent. due to resp. distress-unsure if initial cause of distress was tumor-burden, pnuemonia or steroid withdrawal but treating last two yielded improvement) was diagnosed in early Feb, was doing very well prior to hospitalization in March (even took off his O2 to play some tennis). Like others on this board, he has far exceeded any doctors "expecations" and has shown amazing strength and will to live.

My dad has become progressively disoriented over the last several weeks. He hasn't been "totally himself" since his hospitalization. He was getting stronger, more lucid when he first returned from the hospital but now seems to be slipping.

The question plaguing me is whether this is due to medication, brain mets, radiation, fatigue (he doesn't sleep well at all) or ??? I know you can't diagnose from a message board but hoping someone out there will have had similar experience and their loved one "returned to normal"--not necessarily in beating the cancer but regaining mental acuity. And if so--what triggered the improvement?

this must be tough on you. my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer last year with mets to the brain and they did intensive radiation. he also took chemo for the lung. recently, the lesion in the brain came back. he's been sleeping too much and the docs think it might be the lesion or depression...

wish i had some advice to give you but in our case, we're just watching him.

praying for you

Guest DaveG

As a survivor, I would suggest talking to your father's doctor about prescribing anti-depressants for your father.

Going through everything that your father is going through, plus dealing with the cancer, causes many emotions to be triggered. Those of us who are survivors, to a one, have been on an emotional roller coaster since our diagnosis. For some of us, myself included, the journey with lung cancer continues. Ocassionally, as I have recently, we hit "bumps" in the road and have set backs. For me, anti-depressants have been a godsend. I am on Celexa, and you find that a very large percentage of the survivors are on some form of anti-depressant.

All the things you describe are common side effects to all the things your father is going through, as far as treatment is concerned. The fatigue could well be caused by depression, as depression can cause sleep deprevation.

Talk to your father's doctor.

hi- another thing it might be is low blood sodium- it can cause similiar symptoms- but a blood test would have to be done- does he drink ALOT of fluid? sometimes other things can cause this too.