Getting Worse--Updated 12/07

fillise

Mom got her scan results today and it's not good news. Both the tumor in her lung and the one on her liver have grown. She has done three lines of chemo so the next step is Tarceva.

I was impressed with the way mom's oncologist began helping her to deal with the cost immediately. They checked her insurance and told her what her co-pay will be (about $2,000 for the first two months and then about $200.00 for the next ten months in the year) with her Medicare part D plan. They are going to try to get her some co-pay assistance for the first couple of months especially. He brought someone in to begin the paperwork.

He also discussed the side effects with her. She will hate them, but needless to say, I'm hoping she has to deal with them because that will mean it is more likely the Tarceva is working.

I'm pretty bummed, but this is not unexpected. After seeing mom over Thanksgiving I thought that the cancer was probably on the move again. She told me that she thought so too and was not surprised by the news although she is disappointed.

Stupid cancer.

Susan

I too am so sorry to hear about your Mom and also that her doctors are trying to get financial assistance for the Tarceva.

My thoughts and prayers are with you....as always.

I too hate this disease....more than I can ever even begin to say.

Bless you and your Mom Susan.

Susan, I am so sorry to learn that your mom's cancer has progressed. Hope the Tarceva will be the magic bullet for her, it is for many. As for payment, I know that many oncologist offices and cancer centers are oftentimes of great assistance. They oftentimes can GIVE patients Tarceva ,free of charge, that has been donated by patients who couldn't take it. Mike and my mom got it that way , to get them started. Not only that, but there is financial assistance available directly from the company that makes Tarceva... been so long that I forget how this works. I know there must be some information on this site about it and people here who have the information to help. Do not let her pay out the $2,000... that's robbery . Just know that I am keeping her in my prayers, as always.

Hugs,

Sue

I am sorry sorry about the news of your mom. But take comfort in knowing there is another plan and the great help you are getting from her doctor.

I will pray that this works for her. Hang strong... she is strong woman and you will be right by her side.

Maryanne

I'm sorry for the not so good news but Tarceva gave my dad so much time without the harsh side effects of Chemo. Maybe it will be her lucky charm. I'm with Sue on the Tarceva cost please check with the company that makes it. They were able to help my girlfriends' mom with the cost.

Thanks everyone. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes from all the sweet and supportive responses here and on Facebook. It's like all the other dips on the roller coaster. You have to have a day or so to let your stomach catch up and then you settle into yet another new definition of normal.

Mom is supposed to hear from her Onc's office about the Tarceva assistance today or tomorrow.

Susan my thoughts and payers for Mom!! remember we have had so many with such good luck with tarceva as a maintenance drug. Here is another link that may help also!!!

http://www.genentechaccesssolutions.com ... /copay.jsp

Let me know if ya need anything at all!!

Susan - I am so sorry to read this. It seems your mom keeps giving her cancer the old one/two and I am hoping that she will do the same this time around. Her attitude has always been amazing. I am hoping the Tarceva is the magic bullet for her to put it on the run again!

Amen - stupid $@#@ cancer!

Hugs,

Linda