5+ YEAR LC SURVIVOR AND NOW RIB PAIN

nonni

Hi Gang....

The last time I posted I was thinking of getting the H!N! shot and want you all to know I got it and with no problem...didn't feel a thing and no side affects at all....

Now I have a question...after 5 yrs with no problem except one of two scares which turned out to nothing....I am suddenly have rib pain....not bad ...but annoying and know that it is there....not there all the time ...comes and goes...You all know you can't even have a freaking headache and not think the C is back...grrrrrr....

Just wondered if anyone here has had rib pain after so many years....I looked at my profile and saw the I had rib pain once before and the doc ordered 2 MRI's...ct/scan and a Pet scan...and turned out to be nothing.....well I don't feel like being all radiated up again....grrrr...

What cha think????

love you all

nonni

Nonni, I've never had rib pain but I didn't have surgery for my lung cancer. I did have a malignant pleural effusion and occasionally get pain in that area. Just had it again last week, for about 4 days. I kept telling myself I've had it before and it did not relate to "cancer is back." I waited it out and believe it was related to reaching and supporting weight over my head that was apparently to heavy for me (knew it at the time lol). This is the time of year for overdoing--have you been? Don't know what to tell you about scans, but my onc recommended if I felt some uncertainty down here in KW, I could always go for a chest x-ray. Wish I could help more.

Judy in Key West

I get rib pain now and then, and it's usually because I did something in the previous day or so and didn't even connect the two until I really thought about it.

I guess it's more likely that we will pull or stretch something easier once the muscles have been cut and the ribs spread open.

Don't really know for sure, but I think that if it were cancer pain, it would not be coming and going, but would be persistent.

What I try to do is see if it goes away in two weeks and if not, then check with the doc. I know, I'd be freaking the whole time, but I also get sick of running to the doc for everything.

I hope it gets better for you.

Cindy

Thanks Judy and Cindy.....

Yes I am alway's pushing and pulling and carrying heavy stuff....and that's what I was trying to relate that to....it's been a week now and not as bad as it was....I will do as you say Cindy...wait it out for 2 weeks and if it's not gone...go check it out....Even my damn washing machine is soo deep I have to stretch to get the clothes out....I once cracked a rib not long ago reaching in the washing machine....Now I let my Son or hb get the clothes out...LOL

Ok off to the post office to wait in line..grrrr....Merry Christmas everyone...but I will be back before than to talk to you all..."I hope'

xoxoxox....nonni

I have had rib pain on and off over the years Nonni. Sometimes I think it comes from over doing it, other times it seems to come from indigestion. I think gaining weight also makes it hurt sometimes.

Carol

I constantly have rib pain. I had my 5th rib removed on the rt side. No test will show anything. It's very common in people who have had this done. Motrin helps. I just decided it's better than having LC and Iam still here.

Nonni,

It could be the weather, your ribs being a barometer of sorts. I know that my dad had a really deep cut on his leg as a kid, took out some of the "meat" under the scar. When there is a change in the weather (change in barometric pressure), he gets an ache in that spot. Now that he has had a plate and screws installed in his busted up leg, he gets an even bigger warning.

I've been experiencing back pain the last week, but have been on my feet a heck of a lot more with all the shopping and wrapping and cooking and decorating and.... Try to think about everything you've done since the pain began - remember, being a 5+ year survivor means that you are also 5+ years older!

....and if you're really concerned because nothing works (like maybe a massage or a soak in a hot tub), you may want to run it by your doctor.

All the best,

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nonni, I have rib pain now and then over the last few years. The pain is near my chest tube scars. It scared me the first time I noticed pain that wouldn't go away, but it all scanned out OK.

I started paying more attention. The pain went away last summer then returned when I went back to school in the fall. Then I realized I was leaning against the arm of my office chair on that side right where my chest tubes were. :)

Is your pain by your chest tube scars too? Barb