My new Chemo regimine

OhioKat

Saw my Chemo Dr yesterday. He said that they have concluded that it is for sure a mets from the lung to the ovary but that except for the (obviously) positive path report on the tumor itself all the other pathology tests done on the lymph nodes and other stuff they took out have all come back clean or clear which ever you call it. He said its a good thing that it looks like they got all of it, but he was a little concerned that it was so far away from the original source.

Its kind of strange to think that my abdomen is considered "far away" from my chest.

I start the chemo on the 9th of January. I'll only get it one day a week for 3 weeks, then 1 week off this time, instead of the 3 days in a row then 3 weeks off I had the first time.

My drugs are Cisplatin (I was on this the first time) and a new one (to me at least) called Irinotecan or Camptosar (CPR-11). One thing I found curious in the paper work they've given me this time is that it says I should expect to be in the unit for approximately 8 hours & will need someone to drop me off & pick me up because of sedating meds that will be given. My first trip down the chemo brick road the longest I was there was 4 hours on the 2 days that I had to get both drugs. I drove myself to and from those appointments. I know its something I should have asked when I was at the Dr's yesterday but my appointment was late in the day and I was hurting from the surgery and I didn't really read through all the papers they gave me till I was home tucked into my comfy chair.

I'll also be getting Radiation at the same time.

I'm curious if anyone else has been on this type of schedule for chemo? Is it easier getting 1 or two drugs once a week for 3 weeks in a row then it was getting the drugs for 3 days in a row with a 3 week break.

Both drugs list hair loss as a side effect. I'm not real happy about that, but the last time I had chemo I didn't actually lose ALL my hair. When not colored I have a very heavy salt & pepper natural hair and it really ended up looking like just my colored hair fell out, I had a nice white little flat top until the PCI made the rest of my hair fall out. Of course I don't know if this new drug will act the same way as the first two did, but its at least a little bit of hope.

My husband was on this chemo routine. The drugs are given very slowly. He was usually in the chemo room for about 8 hours. As for the sedating drugs...not sure about that. I always drove Dennis anyway so maybe we never noticed. A little tip...make sure and drink as much fluid as possible. This will help flush the platnium based drugs out of your system. Dennis had to go to the ER twice for dehydration and I felt he was drinking tons!!! There is a very good success rate with this combination of drugs!

I had cisplatin/gemzar for three cycles of what was supposed to be: cisplatin and gemzar on week 1, gemzar only on week 2 and 3. But my blood counts went too low from two consecutive weeks that I could only take the chemo two weeks in a row and then have a week off. To make up for the missed gemzar treatments, my onc tacked 3 gemzar treatments on to the end.

As to whether this is easier than going three days in a row and then having three weeks off, I can't say because I've never done chemo except for the way I explained. I can tell you though that on the day of cisplatin and gemzar, I was at the office for almost all day due to the hydration that is necessary before and after cisplatin.

I also did not lose my hair, but did have some hair thinning while I was on these drugs. That quit within a few weeks of completion of the chemo. I hope this helps.

Thank you both for your input it does help. I guess my first chemo guy didn't feel that with the cisplatin it needed to be run in like that. I know they always gave me a huge amount of IV fluids but like I said before, I never spent more then 4 hourse maybe 4 1/2 at the most at the office being infused.

Thank you again for the input :)

My first go around with chemo in 2001 was the same as you will be getting. I had to stay all night week 1 because of the cisplatin, I was given extra IV fluids because of that one. The camptosar was also given then. Week 2 and week 3 I just received the camptosar. I also was given pre-meds that made me tired. I think it was ativan plus a few others. Week 4 I was off. This continued for 9 months for me. After 6 mos. the results were so good he had me go another 3 mos. I did lose my hair the second month. I also had to use a lot of Immodium! Idid not have much nausea tho. Good Luck. Cindy

My mom was put on that exact routine. The first day took 8 hours. She hasn't lost her hair, but she says it feels "funny". Unfortunately, she got uncontrollable diarrhea and spent a week in the hospital. My mom tends to get the worst of any and all med side effects.

Stay on top of any problems and drink like a fish! Good luck.

Jen

I had six cycles of the cisplat/irinotecan regimen for my first chemo in June-November of '02. Overall it went OK. Expect to lose the hair again for sure. I had some diarrhea but not too much but had problems with the white and red blood cell counts. They responded well to Procrit and Neupogen. I think that since you had just one localized met and got rid of that that you've got a good chance at a second remission. I hope and pray so.

You mentioned more radiation. what are they going to radiate, the pelvis?

Sam

About the radiation: Yes from the way it was put to me it sounds like my pelvic area will be the target of the radiation, I can't imagine why they would do any place else since that was the only place that showed up on the PET scan.

I saw in the papers they gave me that diarrhea is a real concern with this new drug. not much looking forward to that, but then there really isn't a whole lot about any chemo that I'd be looking forward to at all.

Thanks again for all the great infomation & replies :)

Hope we all have safe, Happy & Healthy New Years :)

Kat- I wrote to you on the other thread before I saw this thread. My mom is doing the same regimen for recurrent sclc. She does get heavily medicated on day l (atavan) since she has horrible headaches and nausea the first day (but this seems to be pretty individual to her, I haven't read about others who get such bad headaches from the first day). Then by the second day she is feeling almost back to normal, just tired. She has had severe diahrea (sp), so the dr only has her do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. (Cisplatinum and cpt-ll day l, then just cpt-ll on day 7, then two weeks off). She did lose her hair again, but really has done very well overall. She says she finds it ironic that she has cancer considering how good she usually feels!

Hope

Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l-02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

Recurrance 06-03 found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07-03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09-03 ct shows ca spread

09-03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12-03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

Hope,

Thanks for that input its so nice to get a general idea of what might happen, although I know its all so depends on how its going to affect each individual, its still nice to have the insight.

Did get some good news.. No Radiation is going to be needed so I won't have to deal with the side effects of both the chemo & radiation :lol: