First appointment with surgeon!

Melanie86

Melanie, I'm glad you got helpful input from people who have had surgery. I'm just coming in to say good luck and keep that positive attitude. You seem to be a person who appreciates efficiency and things in this journey just never seem to move along at the pace we would like them to. You'll probably get used to it in time.

Take care and keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

Melanie,

It all sounds promising. As others have said, it's painful, but very doable. They weren't able to do the epidural on me, and IV morphine made me feel bad, but once they switched me to hydrocodone the day after surgery, I did fine.

Linda's right, the chest tubes are painful, but they'll be gone after a few days, and you'll be on your way to recovery. Good luck, and let us know when they set the surgery date.

Melanie - one thing I think is important - I am more than 3 years out from the surgery and while I remember I had some pain, it's a very distant memory. I guess it's like child birth - it sure hurts like crazy at the time, but our mind has a wonderful gift of being able to know that it hurt, but not relive it over and over again (otherwise we'd all just have one child and be done with it!) :)

So, hang on to that thought - whatever pain you come upon with your surgery - God willing it will be short lived! We are all rooting for you here and waiting with you.

Hugs,

Linda

Melanie,

Glad to see everything is moving along for you...

The epidural and catheter are not bad - when they insert the epidural into your spine, you feel a sharp tingle - sort of like a small electric shock - at least I did, and then you feel nothing. The catheter doesn't hurt at all - although I have to admit, I couldn't wait to get that out most of all, even more than the chest tubes. I just wanted to pee again. :-)

Not sure if I mentioned this before but think pillows - lots and lots of pillows. I got home from the hospital and had my daughter and friend go out and buy me 4 more pillows, it just helps to lay propped up on a mountain of pillows!

Keep putting one foot in front of the other, you'll get there and be through everything soon enough!