Love You Forever

Nick C

So I had Sophie duty last night. She really likes to pick books for me to read her at bedtime. The picking is the best part for her I think and she actually turns books down..on what basis I have no idea.

Well, Sophie picked "Love You Always". This was a new one, she hadn't picked this one for Daddy to read to her, so I began. Well the book is about a Mom who is always sneaks into her sons room and when he is sleeping picks him up and sings to him:

"I'll love you forever,

I'll like you for always,

as long as I'm living

my baby you'll be."

Long story short, Mom gets old, son picks up mom and sings a similar song :

"I'll love you forever,

I'll like you for always,

as long as I'm living

my Mommy you'll be."

Well, Sophie couldn't quite make sense out of why Daddy was such a mess. I've been emotional for the last 24 hours actually because of this kid's book. It's been a long time since I cried over Mom. Think about her all the time, but not sobbing. But last night and tonight I am.

So here is the comical part, when Keri came home, I got to say, "You didn't warn me about 'Love You Forever.'" Her jaw hit the floor when she realized it was on the shelf and that Sophie had been picking it lately. Apparently it is a family favorite and her Aunt gave it to Sophie and Keri actually said, "Nick can never see this book!" when she opened it.

Anywho, it's been a while and I am glad I got to offer Mom some tears the last 24 hours. As long as I'm living my Mommy she will be.

Nick,

That is a fabulous book. I'm sorry that you could relate to is so closely, but at the same time, it's wonderful to have a story like that for Sophie. When she gets older and can understand more about your relationship with your mom, she'll look back on the story and understand everything. It will help her to know your mom and the relationship you shared. Also, being able to relate to the story is wonderful, in a sense that it means that you and your mom had that beautiful relationship.

I'm sorry you are grieving. Peace and Prayers.

Melanie

((((((((Nick)))))))), your mom was so blessed to have had a son who loved her so much . You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful mom and yes she will always live on in your memory and within you. Such a strong bond can never be broken even when one passes on. Just reading about that book made me cry... I'm sure there will be many more triggers ahead to remind you of how much you miss her. Sometimes I think we just need a good cry to empty out some more of that grief. I'm just speaking from my mind and my heart here.. just thinking out loud. Bless your heart, I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

Hugs,

Sue

Nick - I remember that story all too well from when my children were little. We read that every single night for many, many months. My son would always say at the end of the book "You'll always be my mommy, but I don't think I could carry you like he carries his mommy!" Still makes me smile when I think of it.

I can certainly understand why the book affected you as it did though - in very few words it takes us through a life time of love between a mother and her child. Sadly, you didn't get enough time and she didn't get to experience all the joy you had to give her - including Sophie. I hope the tears were cathartic in some way, although it would be better if it was a perfect world and you didn't have to be going through the pain of her loss at all.

Take care Nick,

Hugs,

Linda

You were meant to find that book. You were meant to share it with Sophie. You were meant to have it happen at this time - in this way. Your mother was telling you that 'forever her baby you'll be.'

What a message - both in the story AND the timing of this whole thing. How great is that!!!! Hope you got a warm, fuzzy feeling and that it carries you through the sadness.

Kasey

Nick, now you are making me cry. Your love for you mom is awesome. What an awesome way that book made it's way to you. I'm also glad Sophie gave you what was probably a long overdue release. Saddness can keep rebuilding up over time.

Judy in Key West

Nick--I cry every time I read it. Sometimes the girls catch on, other times they don't. I kind of hate that book and I have actually suggested that we pick another one on days that I didn't think I could handle it.

But still.... It's a good affirmation for me that 'As long as I'm living my Mommy she'll be.'

P.S. I've actually thought of you when I read as well. I think I had the same thought as your wife. ;)

Oh Nick...this made me cry!!!

I CANNOT read that book without losing it. When one of our kids have wanted to hear it, I've had to get my husband to read it.

I'm still lucky enough to have my Mama, but this is one book that touches me so deeply both as a mother and as a daughter...that I just can't read it unless I have a long time to devote to bawling my eyes out.

(((((HUG)))))

Linda

• 3 weeks later...