Carcinoid tumor RT lung lobectomy-post-Am I crazy......

kermsgirlie

4 weeks post removal RT lung.Been in bed and bubbling.Does anyone after this surgery feel like a whoopie cushion has deflated there?Like rubber rubbing?Also bubbles and pain .....Something moving or changing.Dont have an x ray machine here!!!!Im in bed sick,crying ,depressed,and lost my lung and now my mind..... :roll

I had extreme pain while the chest tubes were still in. I didn't sleep in bed, flat, for over three months after surgery because I felt all gurgly. Extremely uncomfortable and some pain, but not disturbing pain. Call your doctor in the morning and ask about it, the weekend is rapidly approaching...

Good luck!

There are people out there!!!Thankyou for replying to me and I read your stories and Im not so much alone ,just scared a little.Not knowing what the future brings is scary but necessary if we are to live our lives.When you hear me joking -it is just my fear mask......

Had a horrible experience at the hospital,a nurse actually got kicked off the unit.I had been vomiting for hours BC they gave me narcotics on an empty stomach.My mouth was sticking and I was dehydrated.I had asked her for a hot tea to sip on and she said no.She poited to my old juice on the table and felt I could just drink that.This is only a small part....Bring your wits with you to the hospital.Stick up for yourself if you must.I also had great nurses-my point?Crazies are everywhere!!!

I also had one nurse that we called the management about! She had learning nurses doing her work without supervision - and they were not ready. After a couple of badly performed events, we called an alert. I did not have to see her the rest of the stay. She also was trying to give me meds that made no sense - despite my pain meds, I was making sense and refused them. The doc later told me that I was correct. You got to pay attention. I almost forgot that. The rest of the staff were great, especially the patient care ladies who made me comfortable, washed my hair, took me for walks...

I do hope you talk to your doc about the bubbling. Doesn't sound like fun. How are you doing with your spirometer?

Sorry you're having such a tough time. I didn't have nearly that much trouble, but I only lost one lobe.

I never had any gurgling or bubbling. I would definitely ask your doctor about that. The only thing I noticed was that my breathing was a lot louder after surgery (it still is).

Best wishes and keep us updated! It does help sharing this stuff with others.

Hi Kermsgirlie, I have some bubbling noises when I lay down flat or on my bad side. The bubbling goes away if I lay on my good side. It's pretty much been that way for last 9 years.

I have the rubber sounds too. It is like wet gloves sliding on glass. They have a name for it - plural rub I think.

Did you loose your entire right lung or just part?

I hope your pain goes away soon.

Barb

It's been 12 years since I had my left lung removed, and I think the whole experience is kind of like labor pains -- faded with time -- but I do remember that for at least the first 6-12 months afterward there was some very odd things going on with my breathing, etc. I would definitely mention anything to your doctor of course. Hang in there - it will get better.

When you hear me joking -it is just my fear mask......

Sorry you are having such a rough time. But the fear mask, it's o.k. It's called a sense of humor and it evident you have one. Love the picture. Yes, there are people out here and that's our purpose, to help you feel not so alone. Post when you can.

Judy in Key West

How blessed am I???I dont feel crazy anymore....Waiting to see Doc. on Tuesday Im not dealing with all this.....Did anyone have extemem anger,and then depression?This isnt me.I truly want to run out to the snow and run and run and run and run till I drop and cant run.Just soooo mad.WHY???

Im alive,I have my Michael and Anthony,I have my life back,my brain is really not going along with this.

They are 20 and 21 ,college age and broke,and funny,girl crazy,and they were there for me at the hosp...I wanted to see their faces if it happened to be the last thing I ever saw.I woke up sideways with the lights and sounds,and the PAIN.Maybe all the trauma is catching up with me....

I think the reactions to finding out you have cancer, surgery, chemo is probably as varied as there are people. I thought I handled all of that quite well. As far as I know for now the cancer is gone. But about a month ago( 4 months out from my last chemo) I realized that my emotions were all over the place. I've always been an emotional person but I could control them. After all I'm 62 and have plenty of experience controling them. But I realized that either I was crying over little things or I was snapping someone's head off. My poor husband and daughter kept telling me that something was wrong. I finally went to my family doctor and told him about it and he put me on 20 mg of Celexa once a day. He wants me to stay on it for 3 months and then we'll see. He said when you go through major trauma the chemical balance in your body gets out of whack. (I'm sure he used more technical terms but that is what I got out of the conversation) This pill worked wonders for me. I don't feel it at all - I don't feel drugged or anything like that. I just don't feel the way I was feeling. It's so great to feel good again!

Paulette

Hi Girlie....

First off ...I love your sense of humor....second ...you will be fine...You didn't say your stage...but the fact that you had surgery is great...I had those wierd feeling and still after 5 years have that rolling near the sugery site...Still talk to your doctor ....but I'm quite sure it's quite the norm....

Take care...and God Bless....Oh and love your picture...made me LOL

hugs...nonni/Pam

Hey Girlie,

I was and some days still am an emotion wreck. I think all the emotions just come with the territory. Time takes time, yes I know I wanted to punch the lady that told me that too. I still get occassional pain at the incision site and that was almost 2 years ago. I had an upper left lobectomey so I still have part of my left lung. Your surgery and recovery are going to be that much harder. You'll get there, I some times think a sense of humor is the only way to survive this b.s.!! Keep us posted!

Dana

• 12 years later...
On 1/22/2010 at 10:12 PM, blaze100 said:

Hi Kermsgirlie, I have some bubbling noises when I lay down flat or on my bad side. The bubbling goes away if I lay on my good side. It's pretty much been that way for last 9 years.

I have the rubber sounds too. It is like wet gloves sliding on glass. They have a name for it - plural rub I think.

Did you loose your entire right lung or just part?

I hope your pain goes away soon.

Barb

Hello Barb,

I was so relieved to read your post that you are having occasional bubbling sounds and issues nine years after having your lung removed I had my right lung removed due to cancer almost 3 years ago and just recently started having cold symptoms tested negative for Covid but the thing that most concerns me is hearing that that gurgling sound that bubbling sound because I hadn’t heard that since for over a year so and then I kind of have a tightness but I I’m hoping that’s from allergies. I don’t know if you had any issues like that—where occasionally you get congested or things like?

I have allergies I have seasonal and indoor allergies and I know that’s caused problems for me in the past but  I’m just wondering if you had any more issues a few years after your surgery ? thanks so much

P

Is there anyone else who has had a lung removed, (3 years ago for me) had trouble if they drank alcohol? I typically do not drink alcohol at all, however I did drink wine a few glasses a day for about a week or so following sudden death of sister. I am experiencing that bubbling/gurgling sound very occasionally and cold or allergy like congestion in chest which worries me. I had drank wine in a similar fashion about a year ago when my husband passed away. So it seems that any time I’ve drank alcohol I notice slight breathing issues and a type of congestion, etc. i know I had read recently that alcohol can negatively impact lung function— which I was unaware. Obviously now that I do know this I will not be drinking any alcohol but I’m having some issues. I am going into my oncologist clinic for chest CT which I was scheduled for as regular follow up, and so I pray it’s not any cancer returning etc. 

Thank you for any helpful information you might have from your similar experiences. 
P