Am I wimping out ?

BarbaraFi

Went through Cyberknife Jan 25,26,27 had pretty much made my mind up

I would take the path less traveled and not have Chemo again. Yet when I went to my onc this past Friday he said I was too young and in too good of shape to not try Alimta. I have read mixed effects of this drug, some who say it is a breeze and others with every symptom you could think of. It is Sunday and I am scheduled to start Altima on Tues. and I am having my doubts, I am only 49 but 3rd time with Lung cancer in 6 years at what point do you say enough is enough ? I continue to weight quanity to quality and keep going back to quality, yet wonder if that is the right choice and if I am just wimping out.

Think of it this way-- it's not like you can't stop. If you try it and it goes well, go to treatment 2, 3 etc. If it gets rough, you can always say that's enough, or you can take a break and start back up again. My husband did well with Alimta until towards the end. He only had one treatment to go and he told the onc he couldn't do it. The doctor let him take a break and the last treatment was a breeze. Some people sail through Alimta just fine-- you don't know until you try.

Barbara-

I agree 100% with Ry. You can always stop or even ask for a change to another chemo that is easier to tolerate.

I was on Alimta for about 8 months at which point I showed progression. I had a fairly easy time on it - some SOB and fatigue but not enough to stop me from doing anything - I still gardened that whole summer and painted my bathroon.

Everyone IS different but maybe you will be lucky like I was and have an easy go with it.

Good luck!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Barbara,

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you did with your cyberknife. Hope it wasn' t too hard on you. As for the Alimta, as you say , there are good reports and then those of side effects etc. , but it's like any treatment , there are no two people alike and no two people react the same. I think it's just a personal choice. As Ry says, you can always stop if you find it's not working for you. Whatever you decide , know that you have my prayers for the best. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Sue

Barbara,

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you did with your cyberknife. Hope it wasn' t too hard on you. As for the Alimta, as you say , there are good reports and then those of side effects etc. , but it's like any treatment , there are no two people alike and no two people react the same. I think it's just a personal choice. As Ry says, you can always stop if you find it's not working for you. Whatever you decide , know that you have my prayers for the best. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Sue

Barbara,

No, you are not wimping out. You are pondering whether or not to do something.

Bill was on Alimta for a very long time, and had minimal side effects from it - some fatigue for a few days, but bounced right back.

That was one of the better chemos he took.

You, as others have noted, can stop it if you don't like it. You are in the driver's seat, dear Barbara.

You may just be having seocnd thoughts because it does become a drag thinking about chemo again

but, chemo has given Bill five productive years. We think it's not always a negative. Sometimes, it gives a boost to the survivor.

I know that I am grateful for Bill taking the chemotherapies over the last years. Of course, the last one did knock the pins from under him, but hey, it was definitely worth the ride.

Barbara

Barbara,

I to have asked myself what will I do if my cancer comes back? I can't go through chemo treatment like I did the first time, horribly sick, tired, felt awful, stuff almost killed me. But faced with the decision I think I would try another chemo and if it gets to bad, we can always walk the other path. Good Luck to you! Prayers on the way!

((hugs))

Dana

Good advice from all. For most people, Alimta is one of the easiest chemos to tolerate, especially when not combined with one of the platinum agents. For one thing, it's a very quick infusion. My main side effects have been fatigue (though not as bad as Taxol/Carbo) and some swelling of legs and arms. One of the things I like best is that it hasn't affected my taste or appetite! Alimta is probably coming to the end of its usefulness for me, but aside from that, I would have no hesitation in staying on it indefinitely (I've had 18 infusions over the past year). As they say, you can always stop if it's too much, as I have with a couple of other drugs. Aloha,

Ned

Everyone, has made it easier for me to digest, I only hope I do as well as most of you have. I start today, weather permitting, we are having a terrible snow storm right now and I have to travel 1 hour away of course my sister will be with me, helping watch all the 4 wheel driving nuts, haha

they think they can still go 60 mph requardless of the road conditions. I treasure each and everyone of you, I don't post often but read posts daily. You all are angels in deguise. I thank you much and will keep you all informed. Love prayers to us all.....Barbara

Katie, thank you for your thoughts you are a beautiful person inside and out and this site you created is wonderful and you should be proud of all the hope and inspiration you have brought to so many with this site. I will keep everyone informed, had the first infusion today, so far no side effects although I am sure it is too soon to say that is the way it will constantly be. But I am hopeful thanks to all of you thinking and praying from me as I am for you.

Barbara