New to here

BUCS

GOOD MORNING FRIENDS,,, I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM... HAD LUNG SURGERY ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO.. WILL START CHEMO/RADIATION STARTING TOMORROW.. I HAVE SMALL CELL CARCINOMA. I AM A 55 YR. OLD MALE.. RETIRED U.S. NAVY SEABEE. HAVE BEEN VERY ACTIVE SINCE RETIREMENT FROM THE NAVY AND DONT INTEND FOR THIS TO SLOW ME DOWN... EVENTHO ITS GOING TO SLOW ME DOWN SOME... FOR THOSE THAT ARE FAMILAR WITH THE SEABEE'S.... CAN DO, HAVE DONE AND WILL DO... HOPE THIS NOTE FINDS ALL OF YOU IN THE BEST OF SPIRITS POSSIBLE. PERCY I.

Keep that wonderful attitude Percy! As everyone here will tell you, we're sorry you have to be here, but, you've come to right place. Lots of support, lots of wonderful people going through just what your going through. You wont feel so alone. My husband has SCLC but because he has liver and back and node involvement it was not operable. He is currently doing chemotherapy. He won't have radiation. Our prayers to you and welcome.

Guest DaveG

Percy:

From one Military Retiree to Another, welcome to the group. Soryy you had to find us.

I am a Retired Army Medic, Sergeant First Class, E-7. I spent my last 4 years on Recruting Duty. I retired 1983.

Here's a stat for you, 156,000 Americans died of lung cancer last year. There are 58,000 names on the Wall. The time line of the Wall covers 14 years. I think we have a battle ahead of ourselves to get that lung cancer number reduced.

Where are you from Buc? I live in south central Wisconsin about 45 miles north of Madison, and 12 miles south of Wisconsin Dells.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. This is a great group.

Hello,

You are fortunate that you were able to have surgery. Some doctors think small cell is inoperable, and I guess it often is because it's so seldom caught early. How were you diagnosed? What chemo treatment will you have? We're all in this together here and as bad as this is, the company is the best. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Jenny

Guest DaveG

Percy:

Tiny is now the appointed PREZ of the CAN DO, HAVE DONE, AND WILL DO Club here. Tiny does such a good job at this, she even has a cheer leader and her name is Judy.

Hang around here long enough and you will learn all about Tiny and Judy.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey Percy. Glad you found this site so soon after surgery; it is a very comforting place to be - lots of good advice from those who "have done" combined with a large dose of "can do" attitude mixed in.

To what extent was your surgery? If you have any specific questions regarding what is possible with one lung, or how to get the most out of rehab so you can get up and running and back at full speed, I'll be happy to share my experiences with you. I've been out and about with one lung for quite some time now.

David P.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

I'm glad you found this board, it has been so helpful to me in so many ways. My stepfather has the same attitude as you Percy, and it DOES make a difference!

Guest kellyd2487

I am doing a research paper on lung cancer in school. I chose to research this because my Aunt passed away from lung cancer a little over a year ago. I would appreciate it if someone could email me at B2Kchica2005@aol.com. i will try my best to check up on this message board, but it would be more conveniet if i were just writing through email. Thank You :D

Kelly

P.S. Please write to me as soon as possible.