My father has NSCLC stage 4

Hi,

A year ago May my father was diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC. As we all know, this type of diagnosis is devastating for my father and the rest of my family.

He underwent chemo from June to November and has been participating in a clinical trial from January until now. Tomorrow we go for his first CT scan of chest and abdomen since he finished chemo. I am scared.

My dad has lost about 20lbs, has SOB, coughing and tires very easily. It is extremely hard to see him like this when he has always been a fit, athletic man. He is only 56.

Thanks,

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

For tonight, I just want to say that I hope your Dad rocks his scans tomorrow.

When you are able, do let us know the results and some more of his and your story. We love to hear survivor stories - and your Dad is definitely one! Very curious to hear what treatment he has had and what type of trial as well.

Let us know what we can do for you in terms of information or support we can provide. We've got a great cheering section, lots of hugs, and plenty of shoulders.

Best.

Hi Tracey,

Welcome to LCSC,we all can appreciate the rollercoaster of emotions that you and your family are going through.The buddies here have such a wide experience and knowledge,so lean on us for a while,sharing can lighten your burden.Can I make a suggestion,read the buddies stories,their staging and treatments,Iam sure you will begin to appreciate that there is good evidence for a firm foundation for hope.Shortly after my dx,I lost over a stone in weight,due to over-anxiety, now look at me,over 18 months later,I am now a stone OVER my"normal" weight,think I need to diet.

I do hope your Dads scan to-day has a good outcome,please pass on to him and your family my good wishes.

Tracey,

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. I am hoping that your dad's scans went well and you get some good news soon. I will tell you that a few months ago I was where you are. Mom was losing weight, SOB, coughing and getting more and more frail. Two sets of scans showed the cancer was spreading and then her oncologist prescribed her Tarceva. The difference was like night and day and her last set of scans showed vast improvements.

All of this is to say that even if these scans aren't great you might find siccuess with the next treatment. Let us know.

Susan