Just depressed

Joppette

I hate this. I've been crying for the last two hours, and I hate it. I'm not one to dwell on the negative. My lung cancer taught me to totally focus on the positive. But I just don't get what I am going through right now, and am so tired I can't think straight.

My husband woke me up an hour ago, as I was screaming. Once I woke up, I realized that my muscles were spasming in a horrific way, and I could not stand it. He got wet, hot towels and wrapped them around the muscles, which helped. Then he got heat pads that are self adhesive, and wrapped them around the affected areas. Thank you my sweetie.

It was horrific. I was crying so loud, and in so much pain. Once I woke up fully, I took a Norflex muscle relaxer, and am hoping that will help me to fall back asleep. I just wish my doctors could tell me what is going on. This is torture!

My regular doctor said my blood tests showed something not normal, but that he did not have the education to diagnose the problem. He wanted me to take the muscle relaxers for a couple of weeks to see if that helped, and then he'd schedule me with a Neurologist. Well, it's 2:04AM here, and he will be getting a call from me tomorrow. I need answers.

Yesterday I woke up to rib muscles totally spasming, and took a muscle relaxer for it, which did nothing. There is something more going on.

I am usually a positive person, but this issue is breaking me down in a big way. I'm sorry for this, I do not want to be so sad, but right now I am at my wits end. What is this? I just need answers, and hope for the future. If this continues, I will have to resign myself to a wheelchair.

Sad, and frustrated.

Judy in MI

(((Dear Judy))),

I am so sorry that you experienced these painful spasms. Hopefully, the muscle relaxer helped with that. Of course, your wonderful husband came to your side with the warming pads to help. What a loving and caring man he is.

Finding answers with this disease is not always easy nor apparent. Over the years, we (Bill and I) sought out answers, and the one thing that stands out is that it may take more than one opinion. We enlisted the help of the whole team who were working with us. Coming here may give you some clues, as well. There are times when frustration with the situation can motivate us to push harder for the source of relief.

Once, the radiologist helped greatly when Bill mentioned a very slight and intermittent muscle spasm in his back. The doctor asked for a CT scan of his brain. The cause was a lone, small met.

You have every right to feel down with this painful episode. It's difficult dealing, at times, and sometimes more so than at others.

Your positive attitude has been your mainstay. Not all things that hit us are as easily braved through. But, one of your doctors may know what the problem is, and clear the way to solving it.

I just wanted you to know that I am up at this wee hour in the morning, and feel your distress in my heart. You are wished and hoped a comfort.

As an aside, I get painful muscle spasms in my legs and more so, recently. You have given me the impetus to seek out just why that is occurring, and not just accept it.

Barbara

Judy, even the most upbeat among us get down sometimes and it's o.k. Your situation would be frightening to anyone. Waking screaming in the night may be just what the doctors need to hear to get them going. Thank goodness your husband is such a good responder. I do wish you could allay your fears about the wheelchair. The most significant thing here is to find the cause and address the pain. I don't see any indication yet that it's something that would lead to being confined to a chair. Like Barbara shared, with Bill it was a tiny met. I agree tho that in many cases not knowing what ails one is the worst. Truth is, you can't even know yet if it's related to cancer or an entirely different issue.

Please keep us posted on what the doctor says and what they plan on doing about your problem. Hope they recognize the urgency.

Judy in KW

Kudos to your doctor for saying he doesn't know and not guessing and misdiagnosing! But keep after The doctor to find the answer!! I am sorry you are going through this now and hope they get YA straight and back to the good things in life Fast!

Hi Judy,

Iam sorry to hear about your pain and distress,Iam really concerned for you,the replies from Barbara,Judy and Randy,have provided such good advice theres little I can add,to bring you some additional comfort,I have yet to meet a doctor who has been stumped before in searching for a diagnosis and treatment,as in medicine there are so many avenues to explore,seems to me if your doctor is not energised enough to find a cause and a treatment,I would be searching out another doctor.Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thank you friends. I woke again 3 hours later in complete agony. Today I went to see my great-niece born yesterday, and I held her for a few minutes and had to hand her off to someone else. The muscle spasms started immediately upon holding her. She weighs six pounds. So sad. I wanted to hold her and love her, but I could not.

Tomorrow, I am going to demand (nicely, but firmly) further investigation. This is totally messing with my life, and I need answers.

Thank you for your ideas. I will take them to the Neurologist.

Judy in MI

Judy in MI,

I'm so sorry to read about your spasams. I hope you are getting some answers from doctors today. if necessary, never underestimate the power of a well planned and executed temper tantrum if "polite but firm" doesn't work.

I'll be waiting to hear from you and hoping you can cuddle that new little grand niece soon!

Susan

Thank you's go out to all of you. Your support is greatly appreciated. I have not been on line since last Thursday because of the pain. My doctor admitted to me today that he has no idea of what to do, or who to refer me to.

Tomorrow I am calling my Oncologist. There has to be an answer to this. My husband suggested that I contact a pain clinic in the meantime.

What amazes me is that I got through a lung surgery, chemo, and so much more, and this muscle thing is taking me down. I can barely handle getting out of bed.

But I do get out of bed. I have work to do, and I realize that the pain will be there whether I lay in bed until noon, or if I get up and get things accomplished.

I'm sorry I have not been around for a few days. I just struggled with negative feelings and didn't want to be negative here.

It is so weird. When I was told I had cancer, I was a fighter, and ready to do battle. But now, with no diagnosis, and no answers, I am lost. I am sad, and just pray for answers. I will go and ask for advice from Dr. West as a couple of you suggested.

Thank you for everything. Truly.

Judy in MI

You guys are an incredible group of folks. I thank you for all the amazing advice and care. I talked to the doctor yesterday over the phone. The Neurologist couldn't fit me in for two months. I told him this was not acceptable, and to please find me a different solution. He admitted that he really was not sure which kind of doctor I should be seeing.

So I am set up to see a doctor on Monday that specializes in muscle and bone diseases. That doctor read my file, and felt he could help me. Praise God.

But the muscle doctor wants me to also see a rheumatoid doctor too. And if between the two of them, they can not find a solution, I will need to also see a neurologist. Whew! Good thing I have insurance.

The spasms are getting worse. My hands are spasming now, and shaky. Had a hard time typing today because my hands are shaking so bad. But I am so looking forward to Monday and the possibility of some answers.

Thank you so much.

Judy in MI

P.S. Thanks Bruce

Judy,

Glad to know that you were proactive in setting up an appointment.

I am hoping and praying that you find results. Keep your focus on finding answers. No one should need to sit back and wait while in pain.

Keeping you in my thoughts, Judy.

Let us know how it all transpires?

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...

HiJudy....I am so sorry for pain...but please..please get another opinion...Your doctor say's he is not educated enough to know what is happening...well helllooooooo....get you some one who IS educated\enough...believe it or not I went for three opinion's and then to a team of eight doctors before I was dx.....Don't take 'I don't know for an answer'...keep going until you DO find out what's the matter...Good luck honey and I will say a special prayer for you tonight..

hugs...nonni