Not Great

jaminkw

Swore I wasn't going to be blindsided again due to blank-eyed (wouldn't let me use the real word lol) optimism. On the way to MDA for scan results, I was reconsidering adjustments to my summer travel if all was not as I hoped. It wasn't but it definitely could be worse. The radiologist says:

There is untoward infiltration of the omentum. This is a suspicious finding for peritoneal carcinomatosis. I don't identify a discrete lesion.
Nonetheless, he goes on to say
Suspected progression of disease. There is now omental infiltration in the abdomen which is commonly seen with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Otherwise stable CT chest/abdomen.

In English, there are some thickenings in the abdomen. Dr Tseng made him read it twice. She wanted something definitive if she was to change treatment. I asked if I had a vote and she said absolutely. I recalled an earlier reading that "suggested" nodes had penetrated the chest wall. She'd been doubtful and next scan showed she was right. What if we scanned again in 3 mos before making a change? She said nothing terrible would happen in 9 wks so it's done. I stay on Alimta for now and we see what happens in 9 wks.

O.k. friends, do what you do: pray, medidate, project healing thoughts my way, etc. I welcome it all. OMG this thing is really testing me.

Judy in KW

((((Judy)))), I'm so sorry that your scan is "Not Great", but it seems it's kinda questionable. Things do have a way of coming and going on these scans. You have my prayers for healing ALWAYS and that the next scans show nothing to indicate progression. Hang in there.

Big Hugs,

Sue

Judy--You can count on me for all the prayers, good thoughts and cyberhugs you need! I know this is not what you wanted to hear, and you are right--it could be a lot worse. Think about how much ceelebrating we will do when you get the next scan 9 weeks from now and, as you suspect, it really isn't anything! The drinks will be on me.

Susan

Judy sorry you didn't get that great news today. But all good things are worth waiting for so plan your party for 9 weeks time !!! Sending prayers from way up north. Take care.

When I tell people I'm on this site, many admonish me not to go on the net. You only get bad news. Of course, I try to explain the difference between googling a cancer and being on a support site. Well guess what I did tonight. I haven't done it since I was first dx'd. I goggled the dam#n cancer--peritoneal carcinomatosis. No mention of lung cancer, it's rare as a primary but it's virulent and nasty. Now all I have to do is shake doubts it created in my mind.

NEWBIES, DO NOT RESEARCH YOUR CANCER ON THE NET! PLEASE.

Judy in KW

use Cancer grace or ask for help! sometimes we know where to find info ! Judy, Hang in there My dear one!!!

Just holding you tight in my heart Judy...Will be meditating a praying for good results in 9 weeks. You are an incredible brave young lady and I know you will have mega prayers sent from all your friends from all over and of course your wonderful family.

my heart to yours,

Maryanne

Judy, I've got prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes ~ whatever ~ and they are all headed your way. Glad you explained in English what the report said. After reading your translation, let me just say this. I had a questionable spot on my PET last time which led to a CT scan with contrast next.Tthe verdict ~ nothing to be concerned about. Sometimes over caution can be hazardous to our mental well-being. Believe me, I KNOW how hard it will be to get through these months until the next scan. So I'm sending more of all I've got to see you through this very anxiety riddled period. You know we care.

Kasey

big soft hugs and I think your radiologist needs to clean their glasses really good next time Judy! Your gonna rock the next set!!!

Awww #$#@ Judy. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers over the coming weeks. Hopefully it will be like last time and turn out to be nothing significant. I am so sorry that you are back in worry mode.

Good advice about staying off the internet to research - it does nothing but scare the pants off us. Sending you oodles of hugs from Alberta ((((Judy)))).

Linda

Judy, I answered your similar post on GRACE yesterday. I wish you'd settle on something simple that we can all understand. You too, huh?

Yes, this internet searching has its pitfalls. I remember Googling "pleural effusion" and "neoplasm," both new words to me at one time, trying to convince myself that I had something other than cancer. But there weren't any "maybe" type words in my report, whereas yours is sort of vague. Some of these radiologists really go overboard on the CYA stuff, and I'll bet that's the case here. A couple of the radiologists at my imaging center keep raising red flags about nodules in my adrenal glands and liver, then the next one says there's been no change since my very first scan and not to worry. It's hard not to be concerned, but I'd still rather know than not know.

The best of positive vibes coming your way! Aloha,

Ned

Judy, I'm sorry that the radiologist's interpretation of your results was "not great." I know how scary that can be, as it's happened to me too many times to count. I think MDAAC radiologists play a lot of CYA games. I wouldn't take it too seriously unless it's confirmed by another scan. Best wishes for the next scan.

Hugs,

Muriel

Judy - I've come to the conclusion that radiologists look at everything in the worst possible light. On my last scan in Sept. (2nd since treatment), report said (can't remember exact words) that one of the spots on my lung has increased in size quite a lot and was most likely a recurrence and recommended at PET/CT. I freaked. My onc didn't necessarily agree, and wanted to wait and see - but of course I focused on the negative. I wrote Dr. West, who put things in better perspective a little. My next 2 scans have been good, and in the last one the spot shrunk by almost 1/2.

I will keep you in my prayers that this bump in the road turns out to be nothing.

Diane

Judy, Judy, Judy,

You know...Rock Hudson.....how many times have you heard that? I've heard it all my life! Anyway, just giving you triple hugs and reassurances my dear. We all must cherish the days we have when we feel good, and live as fully as possible. I pray that whatever the CYA radiologist found was just that CYA!!!!! LOL! I didn't know what that meant either.

You are in my prayers no matter what. Sorry, I have not been around for the last 3 days. My lovely hunting dog got in a fight with a raccoon, and the raccoon wounded him. He's okay now. But Friday morning I woke up to blood everywhere! The raccoon got his pad on his foot, and he walked everywhere, all carpets and furniture were covered in blood. Had to hire a company to come out and clean everything as it was just too much for me to do. Thought I'd distract you with that story!

Hugs!

Judy in MI

Dangit, it doesn't sound all that good, does it?

It says something that you had seen this kind of thing before and knew exactly how to best treat it. Even if it's progression, it sounds like very slow progression. I'm sending positive thoughts that there is no discernible change on the next scans.

Judy,

Prayers and positive thoughts beinf sent your way. I think radilogists do sometimes CYA when reading scans. I have had several scans since my diagnosis that they read there was recurrence with metastasis. They were not correct.

(((Hugs)))

BarbVH