Thursday's Air

Bud Baker

Good morning, everyone!

It was 74 degrees when I got up this morning, with a forecast high of 85 degrees this afternoon. Storms were passing very close to the south, with more storms forecast for later, but I'd already decided to drive, rather than ride, to work today. I have errands to do after work.

Crowley, Texas, where I currently reside, started out as just a railroad station depot that was built in 1885. The community was named for S.H. Crowley, who was the master of transportation for the railroad. Crowley didn't get around to becoming an incorporated town until 1951, the year I was born.

Not much else happening here, just trying to slog through another day at work. Have a great day, all!

Good morning! I google mapped Crowley, because I'm incessantly curious about where people live. Looks like a nice small town, but not far from the Big City of Fort Worth and Dallas. That's nice.

The town I actually live in is Grattan, Mich. But it does not even have a post office, so I get my mail from the next small town to the East, which is Belding. Downtown Grattan is a one road town, with one flashing light. There is the Grattan Store, the Grattan Bar, and not much else. Oh wait! There's the fire station (volunteer) at the other end of the town!

A creek runs through the town, and there's this tiny little bridge that goes over the creek. In Michigan, tradition dictates that on Memorial Day, our governor along with about 15000 other people walk from the lower peninsula to the upper peninsula across one of the largest bridges in the world, the Mackinac bridge. It's a big deal every year.

In Grattan, they do a bridge walk too! It's hilarious. They have a parade (tiny), and then walk from the graveyard on one end of the town, over the tiny bridge, and then to the community center. Then outside are booths, selling food, and other such festival stuff. It's a big deal for the locals. I find it charming and endearing.

I grew up in Grand Rapids, which is the 2nd biggest City in Michigan, with Detroit being #1. Grand Rapids is now about a million people, and has definitely changed over the years. Having said that, it's not a big city at all, but when you talk the locals here, they think it is a really big deal to drive 1/2 hour to the City to shop, or dine. LOL!

That's my tidbit for today.

Still quite sick, but much better than where I was two days ago! This has been quite the lung experience! I am very thankful that I can see huge improvements. But I talked to a woman at work today, and she was very alarmed at how I sounded. I told her that on a scale of 1 to 10 I was at a 6 which was pretty good considering yesterday morning, I debated going into the ER. Thankful for sure.

Judy in MI

Morning All! It was 79 when I got up this morning, 77 now. Happened yesterday too. Weird but little storm squalls come thru and cool things off for awhile.

Thanks for opening Bud. Your info about your little "railroad" town reminded me. Stan asked if I wanted to take a train ride to NJ sometime soon. He has to get a van from there to here and knows I've always wanted to ride a train. Thanks to Flagler's Folly we won't leave from KW but maybe Miami. We have to research it.

I'm late today because haven't been doing too well. That long walk Tues and long days this week cleaning and putting the bedroom and bath together resulted in some big-time pain late yesterday. Then I went and did the walk again. Am afraid if I don't the bunnies will be gone again. The rooms are together and I'm trying to rest up now.

Judy, your civic event sounds delightful. I remember when we used to go to a little nearby town for a fourth of July parade and celebration at the town park afterwards. (I wish the grammar police would stop telling me how sloppy my writing is getting. I was an English major in college for awhile and know what I'm doing wrong! It's spoken language on the net and not always grammatically correct.) Hope you keep feeling better and better Judy.

Judy in KW

It's so good to finally get time to come back and get some "fresh air." Things have been so hectic here and I think everything is finally caught up and somewhat normal. After serving on jury duty, it's taken me over a week to get things caught up at work.

It's very hot and sticky here today. Apparently it's much cooler down Judy's way than it is here in central Florida. Of course, she's a lucky girl that has water all around her to keep her cool!!! Can you tell I'm envious???

Well, as if I don't have enough to do, I've started in a nice little home business venture for my spare time. I'm going to send a link, in case anyone is in the market for a nice gift for someone. Also, if you would like to host a ThirtyOneGift show, we can do that and you can get lots of free and discounted goodies. Sorry....don't need to be advertising but this is a great, faith based company and I thought you'd like to take a look. Also, if any of you are looking for a way to earn a little extra cash every month, let me know and I can help!

http://www.mythirtyone.com/florida/

I hope everyone is having only sunny days!!!

Ann

Good afternoon all, I dont have an interesting tid bit today :( Work has been CRAZY busy and stressing me out! Judy in KW my husband, dad and two brothers work for the train we took a beautiful ride through the gorge here in Oregon on a train and we were treated fantastic and it was jut amazing. Not sure I would ride just the Amtrack though lol.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great day!

Chilly and cloudy here but is supposed to be nice this weekend. Judy I took my first train ride about a month ago. My brother works for the Union Pacific and they were giving short rides(about 60 miles) to promote railroad crossing safety. I really enjoyed it. I added that to my list of new things I have done since being diagnosed with cancer. A few others are- I learned to ride a motorcycle,I served on jury duty,I voted for the first time and I went and seen John Fogerty in concert. When I was first diagnosed they said I probably only had a few months to live. So all of these firsts are kind of big milestones for me.

Good to see you at the Air Ann. Glad you're getting caught up at work. I know that "fallen behind" feeling too well.

Heidi, I was laughing when I was reading your post. Your train ride sounds heavenly and I had just looked at the Amtrak schedule. We're second-thoughting it lol.

Mike, your train experience sounds really good too. Your list inspired me to take a new look at my ideas (before my dx) of what I wanted to do before I died. I thought I just wanted to go to Italy and see NYC with Christmas decorations. Both could still happen but it appears that I need to start looking at what is happening that's new in my life and appreciating those things. Thanks for that. I'll start looking for "firsts."

Judy in KW