Hi. I just joined.

Hello. My name is Robert Bass and I'm a new member of this forum (but not new to lung cancer). I was diagnosed in 2006 with NSCLC and malignant pleural effusion. I had surgery and three types of chemo. None of the treatment worked and I'm in hospice care now.

I'm trying to get accepted into the ALK4 clinical study by Pfizer. That's kind of my last hope at this point. My hospice doctor suggested to my mother that she begin to make funeral arrangements. I haven't told him about Pfizer yet.

OK, that's me. Hope someone out there feels like saying something back.

Robert

post-41554-141270978603_thumb.jpg

Welcome here Robert,

We never like the reasons that someone joins, but we do like that someone joined if you know what I mean. Getting support, developing friendships, it's all part of this journey. Giving support is too. You will see from my bio, I am a 3 year survivor.

I wish you the best with the Pfizer trial. You just never know.

Remain hopeful.

Judy in MI

Hi, Robert, welcome to the group. Where do you stand (e.g., what's your status) on the molecular testing needed for the Pfizer trial? Do you already know that you have the ALK rearrangement, or is that testing something you're trying to get done? Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Robert,

Welcome to LCSC,like you style,staight to the point,facing your situation with a determined courage.I really am ignorant about the technical sides of new treatments,save my own experience,which was the more traditional chemo and surgery,I certainly will pray for you that you will be accepted into the ALK4? clinical study by Pfizer.I have a friend Robert Lowe-Lung Cancer Advocate for the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation,youll find him by Googling?(I am also there in this months Newsletter)Anyway Robert was given two months to live by his doctors seventeen years ago,so dont be making any plans for departure yet.

I cannot wait to blow a raspberry at my doctor in the 14th of October,since that is the maximum date of my lifespan he predicted for me,so go on Robert prove all the "Experts" wrong.

Hey Robert,

Iam back,just noticed you are my one hundreth post,hooray I think Its time for a wee celebration with a wee dram of Messers Whyte and MacKay,American Ginger Ale and some ice.

Slainte,

Eric.

Welcome, Robert! Sorry you have reason to be here, but glad you found us.

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the reply. I have high hopes for the Pfizer clinical... if only I can get into it. :^) Need all the prayers I can get.

In the meantime, I have to figure our how to navigate this terrific forum. Looks great!

Sincerely,

Robert

Hey Robert,

Iam back,just noticed you are my one hundreth post,hooray I think Its time for a wee celebration with a wee dram of Messers Whyte and MacKay,American Ginger Ale and some ice.

Slainte,

Eric.

Hmm. I don't really drink much but a glass of ginger ale would taste great about now. Besides, I'm on som much Methadone and Morphine that I suspect alcohol might blow a 3" hole in the side of my head. :lol:

Robert

Oh well Robert, I was the first post welcoming you but when I came in to read your post today, it's not here lol. Knowing me, I forgot to press "Submit."

Welcome aboard again. I do remember saying to put that onc in his place. What he said was wrong wrong wrong. Like anyone here will tell you, the doctors just don't know. I also remember saying some of the male regulars here would be along to welcome you and they have. And lastly, hope upon hope you get in that study. Keep us posted, o.k.

Judy in KW

Wow! What a terrific community this turns out to be.

Well, I'm off to Moffitt to (hopefully) get started in the PF-1066 clinical trial today. Whoopee!

Please pray that all goes well. I'm scheduled for blood work, a CT Scan and then a visit with my oncologist -- not the one who told my mom to make funeral arrangements.

I'll come back and post more later.

Love,

Robert

Welcome and good luck with the trial. As one of our members used to say, "it's not over till the fat lady sings" so just avoid her! You need a doctor that will fight with you -- we went through 3 before we found the right guy. Let us know how it goes.

Rochelle

If I haven't learned anything else from this group of survivors (and I have) the most important is that the doctors and healthcare professionals can only give you statistics and we/you are human beings, not statistics. Good thoughts and prayers for the ALK study. I was just recently made aware of it and it sounds very promising and will hopefully be just the type of breakthrough we need.

The Pfizer drug known as PF 02341066 now has the trade name Crizotinib.

I have the ALK genetic marker but am not yet eligible for the trial because I haven't completed a round of chemotherapy.

I hope you are admitted to the trial and have the kind of results that I have read about anecdotally and scientifically. Apparently the inhibitor has great promise for those who are ALK positive.

My prayers go out.