How to help

Dear all,

My father is 66 years old and a few weeks ago he was diagnosed with smallcell lung cancer. They say he has no metastases and the cancer is about 4 cm. They also say that the surgery is not an option. My dad started his chimiotherapy yesterday(cisplatine & vepeside). So far he is doing ok. Not much side effects so far.

He lives in Europe with my Mom, and I work at the U.S. at the moment.

I am really very confused and sad, and really...I don't know what to do to help him. Has anyone here has the same diagnosis? How long your chimiotherapy took?

Any advise is highly appreciated.

And, last but not least, You, who have cancer and fight with it - you are the bravest people, keep on going, you have our love!!!

God bless you all!

p.s. Sorry, if my English is not very good .

Hope your English is just fine. I am so sorry about your dad. It has been awhile since my mom had her chemo and I think the length and amount of chemo varies from person to person as well as the side effects. I am sure more people will chime in here and offer some fanatstic advice. I am sure it has to be hard to be so far away from you parents during this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Take care,

Heidi

Thank you, Heidi!

I've been reading your board all day long - there is so much hope in it! So many examples of people that are survivors! Also, I found out that the treatment that he is having is a standart, as far as I understand - it makes me ( am I not a total egoist) feel better knowing the treatment is right...

Thank you for your prayers! I will pray for you and your Mom !

I'm glad reading the boards reassured you Hope. If your father has only one tumor with no metasticism, it sounds like his dx might be a 1 or 2. They have a very good prognosis. The fact that he was not a candidate for surgery may be due to where the tumor is or other health issues he may have. Keep us posted on his progress. This board has experience with so many chemos and it's members are excellent in helping with any side-effects that occur.

Judy in KW

Hello there! This is good news that it is a single tumor with no spreading. Lots and lots of room for hope here. It must be difficult to be so far from home. But stay positive for you have every reason to be. I was a caregiver for my Mom, and I am a lung cancer survivor too. My Mom's was stage IV and spread everywhere, so her case is very different from your Dads. She refused treatment due to the advanced stage of her disease, which for her, I believe, was a good choice.

We're all different in how we respond. I think your Father will do quite well.

Wishing you the best.

Judy in MI

Thank you, guys, for your answers and support!

I have another question - the doctor said he has no affected lymph nods. But there was no test made for it. All tests they did were - an X ray, scaner to the lungs( probably this one could show the nods?) and brain, and palpilation ( i am not sure about the word - the doctor used his hands to check his lymph nods). Is that what they usualy do?

He had no scan of the bones. They made scan to the lungs and to the brain. I think it is a PET scan but I am not sure what is the difference between CTscan and Pet scan. They say they have checked his brain and stomach, that are clear.

Thanks again, for you taking time to explane and be so supportive.

I, too am far away from my mom (though not as far as you) and it is hard to be away while the ones w love are undergoing treatment. If there is any way you can get back for a visit I highly recommend it. It is so helpful to see things for yourself. If you can time it to coincide with a doctor's appointment it will help you to meet and talk with the people who are caring for your dad.

Susan

My best advice is to ask your dad what you can do to support him during this journey. With my mom (who's case was very advanced compared to your father's...I'm so glad they seem to have caught his early!!!) her needs and wants changed over time and she appreciated that we would ask her how best to help her.

Sending prayers for you and your family! Please, keep us posted on how he's doing!

Regarding the scans, if they did a PET and CT scan, and the results are as you posted, there is tons of hope here and lots of reasons to feel positive. They won't do a bone scan unless they believe the cancer has spread. The PET scan lights up if there is cancer anywhere in the brain, chest, and stomach. The CT scan is a very detailed X ray that looks for tumors as well. Clean scans is a reason to rejoice!

I'm so happy for you and wish you and your family a happy and healthy future!

Judy IN MI