Monday's Air

Bud Baker

Good morning, everyone!

It was 77 degrees as I rode to work this morning. Forecast high for this afternoon is 96. Winds aren't supposed to be quite as bad today, and that's a good thing since I'll be on tired legs from yesterday's 200k as I ride home from work.

Eric, it sounds like you've been very busy. A new office and people retiring all around you, things never stop changing, do they?

Have a great day, all!

Good Evening Everyone,

Getting to the end of a lovely sunny day here (7.15pm)Katie congratulations on your new appointment,I just know you will be great,will you still talk to us ordinary folk?

Bud,you just continue to amaze me 200km,youre a better man than me Gunga Din.Any chance of seeing a wider angle shot of your boat?it sure looks a beauty,well done on your cleaning station,why not market it and make some extra cash.

Sorry about keeping it short to-night,Italy and Paraguay are just about to kick off,I just love this tournament,By jove them Germans look good against the Aussies,Ill bet theyll be there abouts at the finals.See you to-morrow,enjoy the rest of your day.

Ok, am I getting senile, or did Katie remove a post?

Eric, the boat is a 2003 Triton 18 1/2 foot aluminum bass boat. You might enjoy the story of me buying it.

2003 was a very different time; a time of major change for me. My main hobby then was tournament bass fishing. The boat I had then was 10 years old. I was a fierce competitor. I had put serious wear and tear on that boat in 10 years. I wanted a new boat, and I wanted to start doing more crappie fishing and less tournament fishing. But, my salary hadn't kept pace with the price of bass boats. I just couldn't see any way that I could afford a new one.

At that same time, my body was telling me it was time to give up my cigar smoking, once and for all. One day, I was looking at how much money quitting smoking would save me per month, when I realized it was almost a boat payment.

So, August 2003, I quit smoking. The next month, I bought this boat. I named it, "No Cigar". The major weight gain I experienced after quitting smoking is what made me start riding a bicycle. Now, that's my main hobby. I still love to crappie fish, though. It's funny the way things happen.

I'm not finding a recent photo of the boat. Here's a photo taken the day I brought it home new, almost 7 years ago. Like its owner, it's a lot more scarred, frazzled, and worn these days.

triton.jpg