Honoring amazing survivors who served our country!

KatieB

I wanted to take a moment this Independence Day to honor and say thank you to our survivors who have served our country!

Please feel free to add to this list.

Bud Baker (Uneasyrider1) Army, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Stage II

Dawn (Outrider1) Navy, Small Cell Lung Cancer

Leon AKA "NED" (recce101) Air Force, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Stage III/IV

Randy W (caregiver) US Navy

Ken (hearrean) US Marines, Stage 3B Large Cell LC

Fred (caregiver) US Navy

Thank You Katie!! To be honest it really was my honor to stand the wall for all of you and the rest of this country. This is also where my Handle(user name) comes from.

Outriders were the knights that rode with the Kings in medievil times; the cowboys who rode with the stage coaches in the Wild West, our current men and women in military, police, fire and Coast guard uniforms. It also encompasses those who stand guard over so many other people and places. I honor them with my handle. It is also a reminder to me that I am Still an Outrider whenever called or needed.

Dawn

Thanks, Katie. I guess the VA paid me back by finding and treating my lung cancer early enough to give me a better fighting chance of becoming a long term survivor.

As I recall, Ned served, too.

Thank you to our veterans for serving us and our freedom. THANK YOU.

freedom.png

My Father and Uncle served in the Korean war in the Navy. But they are not survivors of this world. Dad died in 1987 of brain cancer. Uncle Bill died in 1988 of lung cancer. Both way too young. But I honor them this holiday.

Judy in MI

Both My dad and Rick's dad served.

My dad was 6yrs NAVY / SCLC d.2003

Rick's dad was 28 yrs AirForce.

My dad's brother served as well.

I also have a nephew in the Army Reserves.

THANK YOU ALL. I remember, honor, and memorialize your service!

xoxo

As I recall, Ned served, too.

Right, 21 years in the Air Force. I got a film scanner for Father's Day, so I've been going through the slides that have been packed away for over 50 years converting some of the better ones to digital. The Ektachromes are faded, but the Kodachromes are still fine. Those were the days!

Ned

Hi,

Thanks Katie for your thoughtfullness in reminding everyone of the service given by so many brave individuals past and present,in our armed forces,we owe so much to them.

It was a pleasure to me to read about Neds exploits in his service in the air force,wow what a guy.Dawn and Bud I had no idea of your personal services in the armed forces,any chance of filling me in?

Eric, I was drafted into the US Army in June of 1971. The US still had a huge number of military people in Vietnam then, but that was just about the time they started reducing the force there, and I was kept in the US during my two years of service. I was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, assigned to a field artillery unit, and became a gunner on a M109 self propelled howitzer.

300px-Cannon_fire.JPG

Hi Dawn and Bud,

Thanks to both of you for responding to my request,Dawn-imagine you did such a skilled and responsible job,now that would scare the life out of me,more than an active combat role.I can easily imagine my instructions to pilots causing planes to collide midair-yikes.

Bud,thanks for the attached pic,what great fun you must have had firing off shells with that huge brute,wouldnt like to be on the receiving end of that.Seems you were lucky to be posted in Texas,rather than Vietnam.UK stayed out of that one,probably because we were still broke after WW11,otherwise I was at the right age to be drafted,I count my blessings,in never having my courage tested by fighting for my country,unlike so many Americans of my age who were,and still are today in Iraq and Afganistan,including Canadians,British and many other European countries,God bless them all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hearrean

I too was proud to serve 6 years in the US Marines (3rd Marines, 2nd Btln); 1966-1967 (13 mos) served in Vietnam...many locations, but home base was DaNang. Still going strong & coming up on 3 years as a survivor of Stage 3B Large Cell LC.

Ken

Hi Randy,

I had no idea you you were a sub-mariner,I find that so interesting,never been in a submarine before,whats it like,probably a bit claustrophobic,I imagine.How on earth did you manage to get yourself into submarines,did you ever visit the Holy Loch and Dunoon,as so many of your countrymen did.As a kid one of my neighbours,a girl a few years older than me whom I had a crush on,got into dating an American sailor,I was a bit jealous of him,they used to visit my home,and we became good friends,I remember him giving me his sailors hat to keep,which I proudly wore for years,dont remember what happened to it,would have been a nice souvenir as a reminder of my youth.

Funnily enough I remember how I worried for him,for ages after, him giving me his hat that he didnt have to face a court marshall over its loss,absolutely true.

first boat Really really big You might know them as Tridents that come and go over there!! Second boat.. Fast attack small!!! They pick you after boot camp and if you survive submarine school in Groton CT You are in!! We have several hats and cant really get in trouble for them!! at least we never did in my days!!

Eric,

I think I told you before I was in the Navy and my ship was stationed at the Holy Loch. We were the first to enter the Lock as a sub tender for nuclear submarines. I think the year was 1960. I was there for 1 1/2 years. Dunoon was our liberty town so visited there many times. I might have been the sailor that gave you my hat :D .

Fred

Hi Fred,

Great to see you again,hope you and Kasey are well.You may well indeed have passed your hat onto me,I was 11 years old in 1960,and it was about that time.By the way,the girls name was Ruby Arthur,ring any bells?

Ruby Arthur....hmmmm! Doesn't ring any bells. When visiting Dunoon I stayed with a young Scottish couple. They took me on vacation with them one summer. We traveled by car through England, France, Italy and Switzerland. What a great trip! I didn't keep in touch with them when I returned to the states which I have always regretted.