Another Newbie

D503

Hi,

My husband Charles has recently been diagnosed with advanced stage small cell lung cancer. We have been on the fast track and within 1 week he has had testing, diagnosis and is having his third chemo treatment tomorrow. I spend 70% of my time numb and the other 30% my emotions go every which way... Thank you for listening

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to LCSC,I am sure you will find great comfort and support here,I am quite new here and it has been a blessing,to have discovered such a haven,I have met so many wonderful new friends here,reading about their experiences,and supportive comments not forgetting their humour,has improved my ability to cope a hundred fold.

I understand what you are feeling at this moment in time,almost two years ago at my dx,me and my family went through the same difficulties,there seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel,however with time and the support of friends and relatives,and all the buddies here,I have managed to take back my life and enjoy it as I did prior to my dx.

God bless you Sharon,it is a difficult road to travel,but you can cope and I hope you will find some rest here,look after yourself,and pass on to your husband my very best wishes.

fast and furious is about right for now. Once things kind of settle into a rhythm things get a little easier to cope with! You get used to things like new schedules and food cravings and things like that. It is an emotional roller coaster ride though and we are here to help ease that for you. take a look through the Small cell survivors forum, good news forum and inspirational forum also to get some good vibes. Keep us posted and the more we know the more we can help!

Welcome here! You will find many supportive folks here that have gone through the journey you are going through, or that your husband is going through. I've been on both sides, I'm a survivor of 3 years, and my Mom died from lung cancer.

This cancer thing is just a roller coaster for a while. Hang on, get inspiration and help here, share with us what's happening, ask questions, and all of that.

Take care,

Judy in MI

Hi and welcome to the forum. So sorry you needed to look for it.

As a LC patient, I can hardly express to you how vital the support of my family has been in facing treatment and an uncertain future. You have a huge job ahead of you supporting your husband, but keep the faith for him and with him. My prayers and good wishes are with you.

Van

Hi Sharon, welcome

I wish you the best during this difficult time. SCLC responds well to chemo, glad they got it started quickly. I know many with Advanced SCLC they have been doing well for years.

Donna G

Welcome Sharon but sorry you have to be here. I'm the survivor of advanced lung cancer going on three years now. I remember my husband in the beginning. He was all over the place emotionally too. I remember I was very sensitive to hints that he really thought I was going to die. I understood but it ticked me off too because I couldn't deal with that. We had some bumps in the road the first year but I could have done it without him. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about doing things right--there is no right way, just getting thru this to some level of normalcy that does reestablish itself. What's important is loving him and being there for him in any way you think he needs. And most of all, take time off whenever possible to take care of you. You can't help him if you are depleted.

Keep us posting on how things are going.

Judy in KW

Sharon,

The shock of learning a loved one has lung cancer is pretty tough. In a lot of ways you begin grieving for the one you love as soon as you hear the news. As time goes on, you get used to what is called the new normal. But what you are feeling is normal for someone in your position.

Susan

and remember its harder on the patient than the caregiver!!! when the treatments tart and things start to look better after a test or 2 and ya get in a treatment rhythm things calm down some, and get a little easier because You know things are working and getting better!