Tarceva rash

Andrea

My dad's Tarceva rash on his face is pretty bad.....he is thinking about growing a beard b/c it hurts so much & he is not one to complain. He went to the onc & has all the appropriate meds for it.

If anyone else experienced the rash, will it eventually get better or will it hurt the entire time he is on it? Thanks!

Mine started out strong and not pretty so I went on doxycycline and stayed on it for the first 4 months. Decided too many anti-biotics and stopped taking it and surprise! No rash returned. Here it is 5 months later and I have a number of skin outbreaks, but not the original rash around the nose and on the cheeks.

I think it tends to taper off, with flare ups. The heat is making mine return to my torso, for instance.

Sometimes, if it is too much, it may require a dose reduction. Do read Ned's excellent advice for a man's perspective. I don't recall if he stopped shaving, but I could understand that.

Hi, Andrea. Here is the most complete summary of my experience with Tarceva (scroll down to "Management of Tarceva Side Effects"):

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 56#msg2856

I went for about a year without shaving. It didn't turn out to be much of a beard — hair growth was stunted except for the eyelashes — but at least I had an excuse to do something I'd been wanting to try for a good while. :D

My face wasn't much of a problem after the first few weeks. Actually the most bothersome side effect was the sore/splitting fingertips, which lasted a few months but didn't start until the face, scalp, arm, and chest rash was mostly subsided. There are lots of details on all that in the above link. Aloha,

Ned

• 3 months later...

my understanding is that the rash is good as tarceva attacks the skin (so in other words if your dad was not getting the rash, the tarceva would not work).

my father successfully uses a cortazone cream which helps the rash. unfortunately, there's really nothing much to do here.

was your father tested positive for EGFR?

• 2 weeks later...

Things change within a very little time Andrea. I'm on Tarceva now and my rash is very minimal. My worries have been that the med is not working, then there is Katy saying Gene had a horrible rash and the Tarceva didn't work for him at all Go figure. I did get a little rash on my nose last night. It itched at first but when I put on the medicine, it stung like crazy for awhile.

I am doing an extensive skin moisturizing regime and think that helps. But my opinion is that the sun is the most important factor. I was outside briefly with a little skin and that's where I got the rash. I also walked outside briefly without my hat yesterday. Since it started on my nose last night, I won't do that again any time soon.

Hope things have gotten easier for your Dad.

Judy in kw

• 2 weeks later...

Minocycline worked for me...After about 8 months, the side effects will go away almost completely. Make sure that whatever he is using on his face to shave is not irritating his skin. Find something with little to no chemicals or alchohol if possible. His skin is very sensitive.. Not only to the sun but to chemicals, alchohol and fragrances. If you want to know, I can tell you some of the things that have worked for me.. Just let me know... :) Hugs to you and dad!!

Jamie, you have been on Tarceva longer than anyone I know. I've been wondering how you fared with side-effects. I'm closing in on a month now and the rash has just cranked up a little. So has the intestinal distress. 8 mos huh! Would be very interested in anything you used to deal with side-effects. Oh, and did you take it in the morning or evening? If evening, how long after eating did you wait?

Judy in KW

According to the most recent data I've seen, there is some correlation between the degree of skin rash and the effectiveness of Tarceva, but it's not an ironclad correlation, and there are frequent exceptions. Some people with a horrible rash receive no benefit at all, and others with little or no rash receive significant and long-lasting benefit. The reason for the lubrication and other countermeasures is to reduce the severity of the rash, so success on that front should not be a cause for worry! Aloha,

Ned

Teacher Wife started on Tarceva in May of '10, and has had only "minor" side effects. Her only rash problem has been on her nose and cheeks, but an antibiotic ointment has nailed it. It was worse the first 2 months, and now appears only on occasion. As for the other effects ...... Immodium is her friend, and there is no real rhyme or reason as to when "that" will pop up.