NEWBIE FROM S FLA

hugz

Hi everyone my name is Mary, Now I begin my journey of stage 1 lung cancer, I wont kid anyone Im numb even scared not knowing what to expect ..My surgeon wants to operate if I pass all the test breathing blood gases and 6 min walk?? I was diagnosed Monday 7/12/10..It took 2 1/2 yrs to get this answer after finding 2 nodules in my right upper lobe to small to read after a chest xray.so I had to watch them with CT scans, biopsies.. :? I hope for support and some lifes lessons living with this .thanx God bless,

post-41662-141270978682_thumb.jpg

Hello Mary and welcome! Of course you are frightened. Finding out you have lung cancer is terrifying. It was for me anyway. That was 5 years ago and Im still here by the Grace of God. You will be hearing from others here shortly who will be glad to help you with any questions you may have. My prayers are with you.

Hi Mary,

Did you have a biopsy and do know the type of lung cancer? How big are those nodules now? Sorry - we get pretty close quickly around here.

It sounds like you have been waiting and watching for a long time. That means whatever you've got there is especially slow growing. I think that is a good thing. Also, great that they can remove them surgically. I hope that you are successful in curing this with surgery only. If you end up requiring follow up treatment, we've got someone here who has been on just about anything you might be prescribed and can hopefully answer your questions or quiet your concerns.

Surgery - well, what we tend to tell everyone is to prep your home (including someone to do your bidding for at least a few days after you return!) This is a good time to accept help. The second thing - and perhaps the most important? Stay ahead of the post-surgery constipation! Between hospital time, inactivity, and pain meds, constipation can be torture.

Other than that - with a dx only 3 days old - well, it's remarkable you have found this place of support and understanding. Please let us know the plan and what we can do for you.

Best.

Welcome Mary, if you have to find out you have cancer, Stage 1 is the place to be. You'll find lots of survivors here, survivors even with late stages. I didn't have surgery so am just here to welcome you. I'm sure many others will be along to add to Stephanie's post.

Judy in KW

Hi Mary. If the picture is you , you sure have a bundle of joy in your arms!

Like the others I say Stage I is the place to Be if it has to be lung cancer! I am glad the Doctors now are rolling out a plan quickly. Let us know when the surgery is and how you are doing. I lost my R upper lobe 12 yrs ago and am still doing fine. So far cancer free, wish the best to you also.

Donna

Welcome here Mary! Getting the diagnosis of lung cancer just stinks, no matter what. But hearing Stage 1 and Operable, are two very good things. I was stage 2 and Operable, and 3 yearas later I am doing great! So hang in there, this is absolutely something you can get behind you and go on to live a good, long life!

We are here to support you no matter what.

Judy in MI

Hi everyone , Thanx for all the encouragement, And knowing there is a place and people that understand ..I had my biopsy 7/710 and was told it was "preliminary squamus cell" and surgery will be the best option as long as i pass all the pre test Which I had one today PFT ABG and a 6 min walk..as far i could understand I passed ,Thanx God Bless MARY

Welcome, Mary. This time just after diagnosis is the scariest. I had stage II squamous cell, and I'm still cancer free 2 1/2 years after the surgery, so it's definitely doable. Keep us updated on what's happening and how you're doing.

Hi Mary,

Please do not prepare for the worst. Stage I lung cancer is EXTREMELY curable! Many of us had Stage II, III or IV and we are all still here living life fully, happily, and completely. You will too. They caught it early, you have every reason to be optimistic and happy!

Be happy! Today is a beautiful day.

Judy in MI

Hope for the best. See your friends and loved ones. Do something enjoyable.

Then, do all those things you have put off, if you have. Before surgery I did get my important paperwork done - the will, the power of attorney for financial matters, power of attorney for health matters, and the advanced health care directive. We tend to not do these until there is a crisis. That's really too bad because it takes some energy and right thinking. But it is something that really ought to be done.

Is your surgery date scheduled?

Have a good weekend!

I agree with ts and Judy. Do what you need to do, to help yourself battle this disease, but don't let it keep you from enjoying yourself to the max whenever you feel well enough to do it. Life is too short (even without cancer) to do otherwise.

Hello.. I will take everyone's advice ..your right I should live life as normal after reading your post, I commend you all for being so strong your really given me inspiration.I'm so glad you are here and taught me to think positive . I will to .. :D Thanx It takes more muscles to frown then to smile .. :D:D

Mary--Don't stop living and don't stop thinking about the future. If you are early stage one there is every reason to believe that you can be cured and you can live a long and happy life. Too many people think the worst when they hear "lung cancer" but my own mom was diagnosed at stage IV and is doing well after 3 1/2 years. You can rock this!

Susan

Hi Everyone Just came home from work,Tired My upper back hurts I dont know if its my back or lung , Any way I have 2 DR'S appts tomorrow Gotta get the ball rolling I had my Pulmanary test last week so now I go for the results ,and also cardiologist appt top set up a stress test to see if my heart and lungs are strong enough :?: I'll keep you all posted ..Thanx Hugz Mary

Hello, So far i passed both test ..stress test scheduled next week and dr offfice is scheduling pet scan hopefully the same day ..CanI ask did anyone collect social security disability after surgery ?? Thanx Take Care

Hi again,

I can't answer your question on Social Security. I would imagine if your Doctor says it's okay, you could. But many of us are leading very normal lives, post surgery and treatment.

I wanted to say congrats on passing the tests! Surgery is the best option, especially in early stage lung cancer.

Judy in MI

From my experience, Social Security Disability can only be collected if a) you are not able to work, B) you are either diagnosed Stage IV or expected to not live more than a year, and 3) you have been off work for 5 months. It isn't meant to be short term disability. If you are employed, you might have a private disability policy that can kick in sooner (and pay substantially more.)

I worked off and on for the first year and a half - the first because I was Staged III and my treatment was considered curative. After recurrence, I continued to work until I was not able to keep up with my responsibilities. It still took 5 months before the system started to pay (even though I missed 5 months of work the year before while I was going through treatment.)

I know others have had different experiences, but this completely matched what I understood from reading the SSDI site and a few articles. Oh, and you qualify for Medicare after two years receiving SSDI. You also had to contribute to the system for a number of qualifying quarters.

Short story - you really don't want to qualify for disability, but it's great that it exists if you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I went for my stress test yesterday and passed also had a pet scan .I see my surgeon 8/11/10 I guess then we will plan surgery treatment, I am getting more nervous now not knowing what comes after, pain, length of recovery and how i'm going to feel. I want to think positive , but its hard ..Thanx for listening ( reading ) Mary

Hi there, I'm a bit confused by Hugz, versus Huggy. One joined this year and one joined two years ago? I assume you are both one in the same since you said they've been watching you for a while now.

I will be honest in that surgery was very painful for me. However, the pain control methods they used kept me very comfortable. I had an epidural for two weeks while they got me up and walking. In fact, I was out walking the day of the surgery. It was amazing to me that they removed a lung and I was up and walking the same day.

I did have some complications that kept me in the hospital for two weeks, but it is rare to have that. Stay positive. That is the best advice. The fact that you are a candidate for surgery is very good news. You should be fine.

Judy in MI