Nausea after infusion???

Kimfish48

Hi, guys:

It's Kim and I'm up north at my mom and dad's for mom's first infusion. It was on Friday -- 3 hours worth. Cisplatin and two other drugs I never hear mentioned on this site that start with V. It's now Monday morning and all she's demonstrated so far is increasing fatigue each day and weird taste bud sensations, but she's still eating and spirits and attitude are pretty decent. That said, I know that side effects often take a week or several weeks to show up. I'm leaving tomorrow (I'll be coming back and forth).

But I do have one question. Mom's achilles heel has always been nausea, but knowing that, they've given her the gold standard in nausea drugs (tons of them, actually). To all the kind people who usually respond to me -- Judy, Jane, Katie, Susan, Judy in KW and TS, can you tell me when your or your loved one's nausea started? (and I do know everyone and every drug is different). Was the nausea fairly immediate? Did it take 5 days to show itself? I'm just so surprised that she hasn't had ANY nausea yet and was wondering what the "typical" (if there is one) experience is. I'll be sooooooo happy if she dodges the nausea. I also realize that chemo is cumulative, so it will get worse as we go along. But just wondering about your first infusion and when and if nausea reared its head.

Thank you and hugs,

Kim

My nausea started on day 2, and continued to worsen over the next two infusions - was finally so sick they switched me to carbo which I had no trouble with at all.

You really can't tell with people because everyone reacts so differently - I know so many people who just breezed through cisplatin with no problem, and others who had some nausea, but not so bad the anti-nausea drugs didn't pretty much take care of it.

It sounds like your Mom is doing OK so far, and I am praying she will continue to do so.

Diane

Hi Kim,

Like the others said, we all react differently. But you asked, so mine started 3 days after the infusion. They gave me a good medication for it, and I never actually vomited, but I constantly felt slightly nauseated for most of the treatment. It did get worse as the treatments continued though.

But don't borrow trouble my friend. She may just do fine with this, many people do. My chemo was carboplatin and taxol, and the doc said the carboplatin was what caused the nausea. I say that with a wry smile because Diane got so nauseated that they switched her to carbo and she did great with it.

So we're all different. My biggest issue with chemo was muscle pain. Again, we are all different in how our complex bodies are going to react.

Judy in MI

Nausea with cisplatin is so common I would be surprised if your Mom was not given anti-nausea drugs before and during infusion. I received these plus a two day regimen of required anti-nausea meds, then recommended and as needed for the rest of the week. After the first cycle and getting nauseous after the "required" drugs ended, I was more proactive in taking the recommended drugs for a few days, so I did not experience nausea after that, especially if I made a point of staying hydrated and keeping a little food in my belly. Well, until the morning of my last infusion - that's the only day I threw up! I think it was the relief of being done!

Good on her if she doesn't need the drugs (but I suspect she is getting them at the clinic.)

"V" - Vinorelbine? Also know as Navelbine®. Don't know what another V might be.

Nausea started almost immediately, if your Mom starts to feel any she needs to start the drugs and stay on them - easier to keep it under control than get it under control!

I lived on ginger cookies and very frequent small meals. Lots of liquids, water, ginger ale..........anything you can get her to drink, especially during and after infusions.

Good luck

Geri

Hi Kim,

I had cisplatin and vinolbean,as a concoction for chemotherapy,never suffered in the slightest with nausea,did have a bit of constipation though.I guess we are all different though.