Does Marinol (the Pot Pill) really work for nausea?

Kimfish48

Hi, all. Haven't been on for a couple of weeks. So many fires to put out as my mom is not tolerating chemo very well at all. In fact, she is profoungly nauseated 100% of the time and on some days can barely make it from one room to the next (which is normal). But the nausea and her weight loss is so significant that the oncologist said that they might have to stop treatment. Great. He says the only thing left is the "Pot Pill" -- legalized here, apparently.

Does anyone know if it definitely helps with nausea??? I'd really appreciate hearing your experiences with it.

Many thanks,

Kim

Here in Michigan, they legalized Marijuana, but when I had cancer the only way we could get it was in the weed form. Obviously witih lung cancer, that was not an option for me. But I have heard good results from Marinol. For most people, pot makes them hungry, so it goes to say it's likely going to ease nausea. I'd go for it Kim.

Judy in MI

Just to clarify - Megace - generic name megestrol, is a steroid. Marinol, generic name dronabinol, is a synthetic version of delta-9 THC, which is an active component of marijuana. Marinol was approved for use in the US by the FDA in 1985 actually. No idea about Canada (more accurately, don't know where to check for that like I do for the FDA).

I once helped compile an annotated bibliography on marijuana research papers. It was a long time ago and at the time I remember reading that the pill form was not as effective at stimulating appetite as the naturally-occurring form. I don't remember anything about the nausea aspect though.

Hopefully some folks on here who took Marinol will add some comments and give you good information.

My mother was taking Marinol in the final stages as she only weighed 72 pounds. Although, she was not taking chemo. It helped a little with her appetite. My nausea treatment was more of the natural kind. While I could eat, I still couldn't keep it down.

Hope this helps. God Be with you.