Hello All

Steff_1959

I'm a newbie. I got my diagnoses a couple of days ago. All I know for sure right now is that it is called adenocarcinoma and it is in my left lung mostly and my lymph nodes on the left side and some of the middle nodes (I think). I was diagnosed by a pulmonary doctor after many x-rays, CT scan, PET scan and 2 bronchs. I am now waiting for the cancer center at UAB (Alabama) to call with my first appt. date. I am scared. My brother just passed from lung cancer about 1 1/2 years ago. I was his primary caregiver. My tumors are small, 17mm on the left lung and 10mm on the right. The right showed the least uptake on the PET. I am also very, very hopeful and encouraged by the survivor stories I am finding. I am a fighter. I am an optimist by nature, always have been. I believe I have a chance. I hope that I can be like some of you guys that have been on here a while, encouraging others.

So sorry to welcome you to this site, but always amazed that people find it so early in the journey. Let us know what you need and we will try to provide. You are an old hand at this, from a different angle, but we can at least cheer you along.

I found a little anti-anxiety med between diagnosis and the beginning of treatment really helpful. You might not need it, but it is nice to have on hand.

1959? Another young one, eh? Those are small nodules - how did you happen to get diagnosed?

Best,

Stephanie

Hi Steff,

A really warm welcome to LCSC,boy, didnt take you long to come on board?well done you (took me over a year to get here,well I had to wait for the keg bus to pick me up,I will explain that later).Sorry to hear about your brother,you are right,there are so many wonderful people here,each with their own remarkable survivor stories to share,I am sure you will find plenty here to inspire and encourage you.I only arrived a few months ago myself,and in that short time I have made so many new and interesting friends,and still meeting more like yourself for example.I wish you well on your cancer journey,allow us to help carry your bags for you,it will ease your burden somewhat.Please keep us informed about your course of treatments(we all like to compare notes)Last but not least,I am really pleased to find you have naturally the right attitude towards your dx,thats the spirit,Nil Carborundum Illegitimae.

translation available on request.

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I have visiting cancer sites looking for information and survivors ever since my brother was diagnosed. Cancer is so, so scary and my brother only lasted 10 months I was desperate for survivor stories and knowledge. If all I had for a frame of reference was my brothers journey I think I may not be so hopeful. But.....thankfully with the web-sites and the brave people who are willing to share I can look forward with hope. I was diagnosed almost by accident. I had pneumonia back in May. I went to the local walk-in clinic and got anti-biotics. They took 3 x-rays over the course of 5 days and it took 2 courses of antibiotics to clear it up but I did get better. The doctor said that the x-rays were not completely clear yet and that I should get a follow up in about 6 weeks to be sure it is gone. So....I figured maybe it is time I got a primary doctor and stopped going to the walk in clinic all the time. I found a nice doctor and went for a check up. I told him about the pneumonia and he sent me for the follow up x-ray. There was still something there. He wanted to get another one in about 3 weeks later, that one was not changed from the previous one. Then he sent me for a CT scan and that showed the small masses and swollen lymph nodes. He then send me to the pulmonary doctor. He did the bronchoscopy which came back negative for cancer but he wanted to do a PET scan just in case he missed something. The PET did show uptake especially on my lymph nodes so he scheduled an EBUS Bronch with one of his partners and she was able to get some good samples of the lymph nodes which came back positive. I don't know how but I kind of knew that I had it back when the first follow up x-ray was not clear. I don't really feel like I have cancer. I have a little ache in the middle of my back since the EBUS. I would sometimes get pings in the middle of my chest and an ache in my back which I totally ignored. A ping??? I don't know if these are physical symptoms I should have paid more attention to or not. I am at a computer all day at work and a lot after work I though my aches and pains were from sitting humped over a computer for so long. Right now I am very worried. I just can't wait to talk to a oncologist so I can get a clearer picture of exactly what is what. Right now I feel kind of in limbo. I will be a frequent visitor I know cause I need others who are going through the same thing. That is one thing that totally tore me up with my brother.......I was able to love him and care for him but since I did not have cancer back then I could not fully understand. It can be a lonely time. I will let you all know what the oncologist says.....thanks for being here.

Hi, welcome to the group! I just finished watching a Discovery Channel presentation on NSCLC featuring three lung cancer experts, one of which is Dr. West, who we mention often here. He's a Seattle oncologist and head of GRACE (Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education — cancergrace.org). The program is also available online, and here are a couple of links:

http://discoveryhealthcme.discovery.com ... ogram.html

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 1390685001

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Ned,

Just a short note to thank you for the link you provided,I watched and enjoyed all four programmes,dosnt Dr West look really young,think the gray on his beard is dyed,to give him the more mature look?.Hope you are well,did you get feedback on your latest tests?now get yourself down to that car showroom and change your wheels.God Bless.

Hi Stef,

You found a great place to get support and give support. This disease does not discriminate based on age or gender. I was diagnosed at age 52. Fortunately they found it early, like you, and here I am 3 years later, and hopefully cancer free!

No matter what they tell you, remember that no one can tell you an accurate prognosis of how long you have to live. That is just not accurate, as proven by tons of people here.

I also have found that having a positive attitude is amazing in how you recuperate from treatment. I look forward to getting to know you better, and hearing about what the doctors think is the best course of treatment.

Like you, I had an immediate family member die from lung cancer. But they did not find my Mom's until it was way advanced, in her organs and bones. So for her, palliative care was the only option. For you, there is a lot they can do!

Wishing you the best.

Judy in MI

Steff, it is so unfair that you should have to deal with this so soon after losing your brother to the same disease. I can just image how frightened you are. So glad you found us. I am one of the survivors of advanced lung cancer. Like you I had pneumonia, walking then the real thing, and the dx wasn't easy. I'm going on three years living and functioning pretty well with 3III. You are young and have every reason in the world to be hopeful. Look forward to getting to know you.

Judy in KW

Welcome, Steff. This time just after diagnosis is, indeed, scary. Most of us feel less anxiety once we have a treatment plan in place. I'll look forward to your updates.

Steph--I'm glad you found us, but sorry you had to. I think you are probably in better shape than your brother when he was diagnosed. For sure there are a lot of weapons in the LC arsenal and more coming. My mom was diagnosed at stage iv in January 2007 and just passed her 43 month mark. Your tunors are very tiny so that's encouraging.

You mentioned getting results from UAB, are you in Alabama? I'm in Auburn and would be happy to help you in any way I can.

Susan

I am overwhelmed with everyone's encouragement!! I finally have my appointment at UAB, it's for this Wednesday! I am looking forward to getting an action plan and getting started. I am actually creating these little scenarios in my head about how great it would be if things worked out this way or that way. :) To answer some of the questions, the 1959 in my log on name is my birth year. I'll be 51 this year. I am living in Montgomery Alabama and am an accountant. My employer has been super understanding. I'm working every day and hoping to continue to do so. I am married, 2 kids. My son is 23 and going to Auburn Univ. Montgomery (just out if the Coast Guard) and my daughter is 18 just graduated high school. Susan...glad to see another one from the gump! It'd be great to get together someday. Ned..I watched those videos thanks so much they were awesome. I have learned a lot these past few months. Lung Cancer is finally starting to get some attention and the advances are amazing. My next post will be good news from my doctors visit (I hope) :D I am going to work on creating my profile and work on reading everyone's story. Life is sweet.

Keep up the good attitude. Like Bud said, The anxiety levels out some when the treatment plan is in place. We'll be watching for that follow-up post.

By the way, my son started college after 5 1/2 yrs in the Coast Guard. He went on to get a PhD. Late bloomers often do very well. I had a college professor tell me he preferred students who "stopped out" after high school and came back older and more mature.

Judy in KW

Hi Steff,

At the bottom of the individual post is a little box labeled "pm" - for private message. If you look at Susan's last post you will see it. It allows you to communicate direct with the individual so you can exchange private information like contact info, the occasional apology (I know I sometimes think I put my foot in my mouth), or just a private note.

To retrieve the PM, at the top of the page, just under the blue banner, there should be a "new messages" count. Click on that and you should find any messages waiting or stored for you.