Conflicting Diagnoses

kristinj

Dear Friends,

I have been eagerly awaiting the return of my computer so that I could update you on my Dad's appointments and test results. Great news- the tumor and cancer seem to be isolated and completely contained in the pleural region with no spreading anywhere else- this was found in the PET scan and we were all so very relieved. So, we began our appointments this past Thursday. The first, with the local onco., went great and my Dad lest feeling confident and ready to begin treatment. The second, with the NCI, research based Cancer center, also went well, but the doctors there began to question the pathology of the tumor and highly recommended not beginning any treatments until the pathology was reviewed and studied more carefully. So, now, treatments are on hold until we receive more info. Dad is totally frustrated and just wants to get started. He is having a hard time sleeping- quit smoking with the patch, combined with nerves from all of this- is feeling very tired due to the limited flow of oxygen b/c of the position of the tumor, and is feeling pressure in his chest, poss. also from the tumor.

We want to start battling this too- ASAP!!!! But, the contradictory elements of the pathology are concerning and the holiday weekend doesn't help! Any wisdom? Thanks. K.

Hi Kristin,

This must be frustrating. Holiday weekends only make it more so. I went to Mayo Clinic for a second opinion. The airline and hotel charged us 50% of their normal rate. And the experts there only charged me $250 for their opinion. Amazing how accomodating they were.

Maybe getting a third opinion would be worthwhile.

Judy in MI

Many of us are ready to sprint forward from the moment we hear the word cancer in our dx. But sometimes speed is not the best way to go. Careful study when things are outside the norm is very important. I am at a top-notch facility but I have sometimes wished I'd slowed down and done some things I passed on and considered more carefully the direction I took. My cancer was also a malignancy in the pleura (no tumor) and not easy to dx.

Judy in KW

Kristen,

Actually reviewing the findings and making sure the treatment is appropriate for the type of malignancy your father has is a very wise thing to do. You don't want it to take too long, but in this case being right is probably better than being fast.

I remember how hard it was to wait before knowing how my mom would be treated. She was so frustrated and kept saying "I want to be fighting this." In a lot of ways, this is the hard part. Once you have a treatment plan and get started you feel like you are doing something and it is a little easier.

Susan