Chemo/Radiation vs Surgery

lkraham

Hi, Everyone.

Just wanting to get your opinions and experience. My mother was diagnosed with Stage IIIa Squamos Cell Carcinoma in July. Tumor was fairly large and close to the esophagus with some spread to lymph nodes on the same side of the chest. Doctors told her to start chemo (carbo/taxol 1x/week for 6-7 weeks) and radiation 5x week for 33 treatments. They decided that after the 24th, they'd do a cat scan to determine whether the tumor had shrunk enough and away from the esophagus to make surgery an option. That cat scan is scheduled for next Friday, the 17th.

Now, all of a sudden and for no apparent reason, the surgeon told the radiation oncologist to proceed with the full course of radiation, and in fact, they have increased the plan to 37 treatments, at which point, they say surgery will not be an option any longer. They say that they are going for a curative treatment with the chemo/radiation and that surgery would only increase the chance of a cure by 2-3% so it's not worth the risk.

I'm concerned about this for a few reasons. First, it seems to me that surgery, if it can be done, is the best chance for a good outcome. What if she continues with the other treatment and it doesn't get rid of the cancer and then the surgery is no longer an option? Where does she go from there? Second, why did the surgeon change the plan without any scans or rationale that we're aware of (she had a pulmonary function test that went very well by the way)? She's well into her treatment and it's hard to stop for a second opinion when she's going for daily treatment. Does anyone have a clear sense of how many grays of radiation you can receive before surgery is out? Any other thoughts and suggestions about any of this? On top of all of this, her medical oncologist who we really like is leaving the center while she's in the middle of treatment, so that's upsetting. It's just so hard to know what's right. You want to trust the doctors and my parents are inclined to listen to what they say, but I feel that we really need to do lots of research and be sure we know the options and take responsibility for her healthcare. Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

I read your post and don't know how to advise you. My only experience has been my own cancer, in whcih radiation was not needed. With my Mom, the radiation they did was for comfort, not cure.

But I understand your frustration, and wanted to write to just say I understand your frustration. I hope you can get answers from others here that can help you in your decisions.

Just know I understand. I hope for the best for you.

Judy In MI

Hi Leslie,

I've been waiting to see if you'd post an update. Have wanted to call or email to check on your mom's status ~ but didn't want to be intrusive. Just wondering ~ is it Dr. Schrump you are speaking about or your local doctor? I stopped radiation after 22 or 23 sessions. I think that was around 2400 whatever they call it. Not certain, but it is close. And who is tellilng you surgery only increases chances for a cure so little? Are they saying that the tumor cannot be shrunk enough away from the esophagus? Seems you need some questions answered in order to make an informed decision. You have my # if you want to call - or your dad or mother.

Hope you know I've been thinking of all of you this whole time and hoping for the best.

Kasey

Hi Leslie, it does all sound very bewildering. Have you put this question to the docs on cancergrace.org. The will answer you with general information and usually very promptly too. You could just copy this post and paste it on the appropriate forum there.

Good luck.

Judy in KW

Thank you all for taking the time to get back to me. You're so supportive and a great resource. Kasey, I called you at home and left a message. Hope to talk with you soon. Judy, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to go post this on cancergrace.org now and see if they have any advice for us. It's all so stressful and confusing and I just don't want to make the wrong choices and risk having anything less than the best possible outcome for my mother.