Can Anyone Relate?

IIIp0

Hello All -- this is Beth, wife of Bob who just started his chemo treatments yesterday for Stage IV [newly diagnosced] SCLC. He is having a secnd MRI of the spine to rule out impingement of the cord; but tonight [and it's 5:30 a.m. already] he woke up early in much pain in his legs and the pain medicine isn't helping it seems.

If this is what this disease [and more I'm sure...] does, keep ya'll in constant pain this is unthinkable~ After the first day of chemo he can't go back to work already? We're thinking it's the spinal cord nerves reacting to the chemo and sending messages now to the legs. Yesterday it was to the chest.

The doctors have given him 5-6 months for whatever THAT's worth..... The cancer is everywhere

--------------------------------

Started chemo w/Taxol-Carboplatin on 1/6/04.

SLC w/mets in spine, lung, liver

Beth,

You better get Bob into the doctor. One thing I learned from Randy was that leg pain ususally meant he had a blood clot. And Randy had lots of blood clots. Randy also had liver mets. From what the onc told us, once you have cancer in the liver, you are more suseptible to getting blood clots. Best to let your doctor know asap.

I am so sorry he is having these types of problems. I hope and pray that the chemo works for Bob like it has for so many others here.

Best of luck to you both. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

Much love,

Shirley

We all have learned that blood clots can be strongly associated with cancer. Pain in the legs with spinal cord involvement is a sign that should not just be accepted, it needs to be checked out thoroughly, perhaps he needs radiation to that spot, this could releave those symptoms very soon. What ever , call the doctor and get it checked out now. Donna G

Beth,

Let me add my "go to the doctor" to the list. Pain is the bodys way of telling the brain ... "HEY! There's something NOT RIGHT here!". What's "NOT RIGHT" might be many things and may or may not be something that needs to be delt with right away. And the only way to be sure is to get it checked out. And KEEP getting it checked out until you and Bob are satisified you understand what is going on.

You know, every time I read a post that mentions the doctors saying something about "well, he/she has X amount of time left" I get irritated as heck. I wish I had THEIR crystal ball! I'd be rich in a heart beat. Look at my sig. You'll notice my cancer is "incurable". And yet not ONE of my doctors ever put a time frame on me. For that I am VERY grateful.

I had a friend who had brain cancer. The doctors told him the cancer would kill him in WEEKS, not months. They were half right. The brain cancer did kill him .... ten YEARS later! In that ten years he got married, adopted a child, started (and succeded) in a new carreer, became very involved in his community.

Sorry for the tangent, Beth. That statement always pushes one of my buttons. :)

Get Bob to the doctor and find out what's causing that pain.

Dean

I agree don't get hung up on the statistics, tell the doctor that the position of God is already filled so he'd better stop auditioning for it. Get your husband to the doctor for the leg pain. By the way they told me a year ago that I had 8 months, I didn't ask them for a time frame but I am still here.

Bess B

I hate to sound like I'm jumping on the "Call the Dr" bandwagon, but thats exactally what I'm doing. Even if its not a bloodclot (and I hope its not) there are many things that they can do to relieve pain, you have to keep your Drs & nurses informed about your level of pain and what is working or not working in controlling it, then they can make changes as needed, but they have to know.

Don't be afriad to call them off hours either, thats what Drs get paid the big bucks for, and look at it this way.. its 2am & some serious pain (or other problem) is happneing.. at 2am it might be something that is easily taken care of at 9 am it might have gotten bad enough that it wont be. One of my new nurses was very strong about making sure I know to call as soon as I start to have a problem because with some things (like bloodclots) waiting can be deadly.

Hope he's doing better.

Beth,

All I have to add is what everyone else has already said to you. If your husband is in that much pain, you need to get him to the ER. Please listen to what is being said. This is very serious and it is better to be safe than sorry. I hope it is not blood clots and I will be praying for you and your husband...

Peace and God Bless

Karen