New to site- my mother has SCLC

Guest hhamadyk

Guest hhamadyk

Hello, my name is Heather and I new to the site. I have been reading some of the posts for a few days now, but this is my first entry. My mother was diagnosed with extensive SCLC in March '03.

It started out as a "cough" in Dec. '02. Her GP chalked it up to an "infection" and continually prescribed cough medicine to her for 3 1/2 months!! :shock: The doctor knew she was a heavy smoker. I am still seething over his misdiagnosis and both my sister and I on several occasions have told him so. I know anger won't change things, but I can't help admitting that it did make me feel a little better to tell him off :wink:

She was scheduled to take a trip to FL to visit her brother and sister in early March '03 when she was diagnosed. Prior to her leaving she confided that she hadn't been feeling feel at all-- shortness of breath and pain in her back. She also said that she had stopped smoking a few days before because she felt that bad. I immediately knew something was up when she had said she stopped smoking because we had been after her for years. My father, who passed away from basal-cell carcinoma 3 years earlier, had always been after her too. I convinced her that when she returned that she needed to get a new doctor. Never in my life did I imagine that SCLC would be her diagnosis. While she was in FL, her symptoms got much and I pleaded with my aunt and uncle to take her to hospital. They did and they diagnosed her with a mass on her lung and on her liver-- all within two days--after being diagnosed with a cough by her GP for 3 months! It was horrible having her so far away, but my brother flew down to be with her and as soon as she was releasted from the hospital and came home we rushed her right to Sloan Kettering in NYC. They set-up a course of treatment for her and recommended a local onc. who they work with, but who is located much closer to my mother's home. That's almost a year ago and my mother is still with us, THANK GOD! She has been getting regular courses of chemo (originally 3 days a week- 3 weeks on/3 off), but is now on 1 day a week (2 weeks on/4 off). All of her test results have been very encouraging. Her tumors have shrunk tremendously! The doctors are watching a shadow on her spine, and may recommend radiation for it, but are very optimistic about her progress. She finishes us her latest round of chemo next week and then back for more tests.

After dealing with my father's battle with cancer three years earlier, our family was just starting to heal. I got married and together as a family, we were looking towards the future. As you can imagine, we were traumatized at her diagnosis. She and my father had been married for 40 years (he passed on their 40th wedding anniversary) and she hadn't been the same since. I thought for sure that her diagnosis was going to be the end for her-- like she would just give up to be with my father again. She always amazed me with her strength, but seeing her battle this has put me at a loss for words. She truely is amazing! Despite the side effects of the chemo, being afraid, and not knowing what the future holds, she has never waivered. She is my hero.

I think this message board is great and feel blessed to have a place to come for support. Its a comfort to know that there are people out there going through the same thing, feeling the same feelings, and encouraging others with their bravery. I look forward to joining this community.

Heather xoxo

heatherhamadyk@hotmail.com

Heather:

Welcome! Your news about your mom was encouraging to me since my dad also has extensive SCLC. We're a little on the down path of the roller coaster ride now since his cancer is starting to grow back after he was doing super on his first cycle of chemo. Not the news we wanted to hear, but could be worse (no new growth and bone scans clear). Keep us updated with your mom -- inspires the rest of us!

Guest hhamadyk

Thank you so much to all of you for the warm welcome. It really means alot.

kimd- I am sorry to hear about your father's set-back, but I am a big believer in staying positive. Lord knows I cringe everytime my mother gets her test results fearing the worst. I know it doesn't always seem easy to be positive and realistic all the same time, but the reality is that your father has made it this far and there is no reason to believe that he won't bounce back from this either. Just take it one step at time. Please keep me posted.

Heather xoxo

Heather,

Welcome. You will find a lot of helpful and knowledgable people on this forum. I am glad to hear that your mom is responding very well to the treatments. A positive attitude and a will to fight helps tremendously. Prayers for you and your mom. Please come often and let us know how your mom is doing....

Peace and God Bless

Karen