sueliz61 Posted October 26, 2010 Share Posted October 26, 2010 Hi all, I wanted to post a further update on Kurt. He has been on Navelbine - reduced dosage and bi-weekly instead of weekly. He has been wheezing and congested, but with a dry cough. Oct 9th - high fever and chills. I took him to ER - High BlP - kidney function worsening. ER docs say xray shows pneumonia in left lung - cancer in right lung- admit him to hospital. He was given antibiotics and O2 to help with breathing. Oct 10- fever gone - his onc does not think he has pneumonia, that fever is cancer related - x-ray shows growth in tumor. Oct 11 - Hemoglobin dropped to 7.1 - he received 2 units of blood. Blood pressure down to 150/96...discharged from hospital. Oct 19th- Office visit with onc - creatinine 3.3 gfr- 20. Oncologist wants him to start dialysis as soon as possible so he can be more aggressive in fighting the cancer. We saw his nephrologist yesterday and he agreed that Kurt would need to start dialysis. He thinks the function is worse than the bloodwork is showing - based on the amount of muscle mass that Kurt has. He wants a 24 hour urine collection to verify the kidney function to get approval for dialysis. He was scheduled to get a ct scan on Oct 13th. The oncologist had us postpone it - until when I am not sure. He has not had a scan (petscan at the time) since mid July. I think the reasoning is - he can't do anything about the cancer until his kidney function is resolved. We seem to always be in a "wait" mode and the anxiety is maddening. I so wish that there were simple answers to guide us. He always has like to be difficult though.(Not really, but he likes to think of himself as a curmudgeon) Sue Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.