Need Help with Facts

jaminkw

I know that many of you out there are well versed in the facts regarding lung cancer: the incidence of, the funding situation, % of nonsmokers that get it, not a death sentence. etc. If you have such facts handy, could you post them for me. I want to contact a woman at our local newspaper and see if she'll do an article for this month. I'll write it if she wants. It would be my little contribution but don't think I will have time to researh all the pertinent info first.

Thanks, Judy in KW

Hi Judy,

I would love to help you,but it seems the research I have made into many aspects of lung cancer statistics apply only to the UK,and comparative "facts" I have gathered vis -a- via the USA may only be considered as hearsay.

From what I have questioned about the so called differential between the USA claim to have a 15% survival rate rate of lung cancer patients after five years,compared to the UKs 7%,the medical practitioners in the UK,claim that the USAs methods of recording is totally misleading,due to not counting millions of disenfranchised of Americans,who do not have medical insurance (appearently running at 40 million currently)UK experts have told me that the UK is the only country in the world who actually counts every single person here that has been diagnosed with lung cancer and follows them up throughout their illness to discover their final destination.The findings say generally that every nation on the planets 5 year survival levels are roughly in line with each other,so no country can claim to be more successful.

I have a large list of statistics provided to me from Roy Castle LC Foundation giving comparisions with the UK and the members of the EEC countries.Generally the UK has twice the incidence of lung cancer than its neighbours,Scotland faring even worse than England.The mortality rate for males in the UK is on the decrease whereas for females it is on the increase,it is presumed because females are smoking more to keep their weight fashionably down.I will pass on to you further comparisons if you wish,best of luck Judy,I hope you have a good presentation for your journalist.

Posted a personal email to my favorite columnist at The Citizen. Forwarded the info you directed to me as an attachment. Also borrow a couple of pertinent facts and included in body of the email. Offered myself if they want to interview for a personal view or any other printed info they would need for a straight article. Here's hoping they don't let me down. I'm a subscriber since forever!

Judy in KW

Thanks so much reading my column, and we’ll certainly get something in about this important killer.

Mandy Miles response to my email. She said an interview would make it more personal for the readers. Today is election day--busy day at newspapers so she'll contact me later in the week. She even said to email a reminder if I don't hear by then.

Yeah, I finally did it! Been wanting to for a long time. All you guys advocating thru walks and runs and cookbooks have inspired me. And of course, outside the States is our tireless Eric lol.

Judy in KW