Dad's results are in and they are great!

MandyB

Hi everyone.

Took Dad to see the oncologist this morning for the results of his first ct scan since stereotactic radiotherapy finished.

He showed us a 'before and after' and the tumour has shrunk by 1/3 (one third) He also said it looks dead!!!

Can I ask a quick question, when a LC is treated with radiotherapy only, does the tumour always stay in the lung even though they class it as dead, or does it eventually disappear altogether?

Anyway, as you can imagine, we are absolutely thrilled with this good news . Long may it continue.

Just have to mention that apparantly Dad has ben scrubbing away at 3 ink marks on his chest ( even tried a pan scrub) LOL only to be told by the oncologist this morning that they are permanant markers!!!

Mandy xx

Mandy, congratulations to your Dad. How fabulous is that for results. LOL about the markers. I think even the permanent ones will fade over time. Don't know about the tumor remants. I'll be interested to hear if anyone else knows.

Now you and yours can go into the holidays on this wonderful news.

Judy in KW

Hi Mandy,

I really am pleased that your dad is doing so well,sorry I cannot help you with your radiotherapy question,I managed to skip that one out,please pass on to your dad my best wishes.Now about the permanent marks on your dads chest,I can offer you some advice on this one(this is best done when your dad falls asleep in his chair),first, get some different colours of permanent marker pens to disguise his therapy marks by over drawing on them,can I suggest,Daffy Duck? he is one of my favourites I also love Homer Simpson, but he is your dad,so you might have other more appropriate ideas(maybe you will share with us, if you take up my suggestion)

Congratulations, Mandy!

I've heard that dead tumor tissue can be absorbed by the surrounding tissue and eventually disappear, but it may not always happen, and can be quite slow.

Your post has one more example of Brit vs. American spelling to add to Eric's list — tumour vs. tumor.

Aloha,

Ned

Thanks Judy Eric and Ned for the replies.

Wow Ned that is an interesting fact that it can be absorbed by surrounding tissue, or maybe a remnant will always be there. Its something Ive never thought of asking the Oncologist, but only sprang into my mind today.

Eric, I love the idea of making the most of those permanant markings :lol: My husband is the practical joker, I'm sure he will think of something

Mandy xx

When I was getting prepped for radiation, they used sharpies (permanent marker) to rehearse the spots - I went on vacation and had to buy a sharpie to respot myself at least twice a day! What did they use on your Dad? Once I got back, I got 5 permanent tattoos - each like a small blue black freckle. My first, and last tattoos.

I'm not sure what they used on Dad, I know before each of his 5 treatments he had more and more markings put on him, but only these 3 remain.

1 is right in the centre of his sternum and the other 2 are on his each side of his chest probably 5 inches below armpit level.

Mandy xx

• 5 weeks later...