Lost my sister

grace916

Hello everyone,

My name is Barbara and I lost my big sister Diana on Oct 7, 2009. She was diagnosed on August 3 of the same year with neuroendocrine lung cancer. It had already spread to her brain and her treatment was palliative, but she never acknowledged that she might die soon. She was, as was so like her, optimistic until the day she became delusional and was admitted to the county hospital. Two weeks later she died without a chance for any of us to say goodbye, because she did not recognize us and then she fell into a coma. She was misdiagnosed with bronchitis and then pneumonia from Feb 2009 until her diagnosis. We were, and are still, so very shocked that she is gone. She was a single mom to my niece Alex who will turn 21 this month without her mom.

We are a very small family - my parents, my little sister and her husband, my niece, my partner and me. We feel so empty without her but she touched SO many people. She was a home caregiver herself and saw several of her elderly clients through their own battles with cancer and other illnesses. She was and is an angel, in everyone's eyes. This is not just something to say after someone dies. She touched more lives than any of us ever knew, and this was clear at the service which celebrated her life. Over 200 people came, some we didn't even know, and they shared their stories about Diana with us.

I just wanted to give and receive support by being a part of this community.

Thanks for "listening!"

Barbara - I am so sorry to read about your sister Diana. She sounds like a true angel in every sense of the word and I can't imagine how painful it must be for you and all who loved her. I know it must be difficult that you didn't get a chance to say good bye; however, I am sure there was no doubt about the love that you all shared.

What a wonderful tribute the service was to her life of giving of herself and helping others. I hope that brings some comfort to her daughter, and all the family.

Wishing you peace and comfort in the difficult days, months and years ahead without Diana.

Hugs,

Linda

Hi Barbara,

Welcome to the place that no one wants to be, but are so glad they found it. There are lots of us that know your story, whether it's a sibling, parent, spouse or friend. I'm glad you found us.

My little sister died when she was 25. She didn't have lung cancer, she had primary brain cancer. And after surgeries and chemo, and radiation, the tumors changed her personality. It was extremely difficult for me, as I was her best friend, and my best friend changed on me. So in her final months, our relationship changed.

I believe she knew how much she meant to me, and I believe Diana did as you describe the care your family gave her. I hope that gives you peace. I didn't get to say goodbye to her either. She slipped into a coma, and didn't come back to us.

Just know that we understand, and want to support you.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Judy in MI