Wednesday's Air

Bud Baker

Good morning, everyone!

It was 18 degrees with a 35 mph north wind and heavy sleet as I drove to work this morning. We were fortunate that the rain ended here before it dropped below freezing, so the roads were still ok when I drove to work.

Eric, when I was diagnosed, there was a study going on with vitamin D. Preliminary results suggested that vitamin D might help prevent a lung cancer recurrence, and I started taking it just before my surgery.

When the study was completed though, the results ended up a lot different than the researchers thought. It turns out that the level of vitamin D in your system at time of surgery has a lot more to do with survival than anything you do with vitamin D afterwards. People who had surgery in the summer, and therefore had a higher level of vitamin D in their bodies, had improved chances of long term survival over those who had surgery in winter (I, of course, had my surgery on December 20th). Here and here are articles that mention it.

Studies have suggested plenty of other benefits from vitamin D, so I've continued to take it anyway, although I don't take the mega doses of it that have become so popular the last year or two.

Stay warm, everyone! Have a great day, all!

Good morning - cool but dry as I drove to work this morning. Busy Busy Busy.....sigh.

Bud - even though your surgery was in December I'd bet you had higher levels of Vitamin D that those of us on your cheering team since you are exercising and out in whatever "rays" are out there every time you ride to work.

I had 3 swallows of orange juice just the other day - so I am probably on the high side of healthy today. I am just a bad girl when it comes to all that - if it says low fat or healthy choice I see "tasteless" and go for the Spaghettios. I may think about that tomorrow - after all tomorrow is another day.....

Half-way thru the work week - 1/10th thru the work - funny how that happens. I better get back to work.....tree pretty.....exactly how tall is that stack of paperwork in that chair and if I put that other stack in the other chair will people stop coming in here....hmmm sounds to me like I have come up with a new psychotic (....psychologic.....) test.....how would i keep records....I better create a spread sheet and think about this for a while. I can catch up on the work later - after I tend those crops. What is that funny ringing I hear - oh - it was the phone - well I am much too busy goofing off to answer that thing.

Oh - before I forget - Eric - two kisses - lol - that was great.

Hope everyone is being more productive than me!

Annette

Morning All! A chilly 61 when I got up so the heaters are on again. I usually come in and read again later in the day but I was so tired last night I just turned the computer off.

Gail and I had a great time. I discovered a flaw in my hat before we left so we went to Hot Hats first and Gail BOUGHT A HAT lol. Not anything like mine but very cool. We had drinks and french pastry and walked Duval, drove back to my house along the Atlantic. We stopped again at Geiger Key Marina, a funky little outdoor bar and eating establishment near where I live. Then home where we had sauted FL loster thanks to the man.

Eric, I laughed like crazy at your post. I've lost my car in a parking lot before but the wrong lot lol. Now I have to share my parking lot story and invite you to use what I told Gail is my new mantra "how crazy am I?" I saw the meter maid getting in her car when we walked back. I joked that she didn't give us a ticket did she, we still had two minutes. She said no, just the car with no ticket. ???!!!??? Oh no, I did it again. Put the money in the central pay station and never pulled the receipt and put it on the car. Second time. First no ticket but this time yes. By the time I got done, she said give me the ticket, I'll take care of it. And the locals say she is such a beeosh. Gail was shaking her head and claiming I really played that perfectly. I swear I wasn't playing it, I was just being me lol.

I'm sitting here this morning like I have all day to do nothing but...a few things before the cleaning lady comes and then off to the doctor for a read of my monthly lab work. Would like to get on the couch and watch TV.

Have a great day everyone.

Judy in KW

Freaky, Annette I thought I hit send then saw your post. Wasn't worried because I copied but just in case of a glitch, I pasted to Notepad first. I read your post and saw mine again. I hit send again and there it was. Crazy crazy. By the way, don't work too hard. Oh and I forgot, Bud you know how I feel about those bike rides in 18 degrees--ice or no!!! And on the subject of vitamin D, even tho I live here I've been avoiding the sun since Tarceva so I bought my last calcium tablet with added D. Can't hurt.

Have a great day everyone.

Judy in KW

Taking just a minute to say good morning. Busy day today with furniture moving and dusting and exercise.

Not as cool temperature wise but a very strong wind this morning makes it feel cooler than it is. I went to see How Do You Know with two of my neighbors. It was really funny. I love having that $1 theater and seeing movies that are not more than a couple of months old. It is a fun outing and one that I can afford every week. When I was in Louisiana my daughter took me to see Little Falkers and it cost $10 a person. That is just too high., especially when you wait a month or two and see them free on tv or rent the vidio for a dollar or two.

Well got to run and have breakfast them get to exercise so I have time to do all my house work I have planned. Have a good day everyone.

Bitter, bitter cold and windy here today. The top of the snow looks like an ice skating rink. Uncle, I have had enough of winter.

I only work 2 days a week so this is my Friday, yeah. Have a tooth that has been bothering me, but like any good chicken, I have been ignoring it. Just called dentist, can't see me until 2/22. Thank God for Advil.

Lily, please be careful with furniture moving.

Haha on the vitamin D topic. I post a countdown on FB until the first day of my ladies golf league and I mentioned vitamin D today.

Have a good day all.

Good morning all. I slept like the dead last night, and am very thankful as I woke up with a very sore throat, stuffy head and cough. This darn cold is going to have its way with me, somewhat. I'm still fighting back!

It's 15 here but the wind is howling and the wind chill is -15 right now. Thinking my only trip out today is to the pharmacy to get more Airborne and back to the couch.

Wanted to pipe in on the Vitamin D thing. A nutritionist told me that no matter where you live, most of us are deficient in Vitamin D. She said it's not enough to be in the sun for a certain amount of time. You need to be in the sun, without sunscreen, and be sweating for 20 minutes to get Vitamin D naturally. She said the Vitamin D from the sun does not synthesis in our bodies unless we are sweating and in the sun!

Surprisingly, my doctors told me I was deficient in Vitamin D and Magnesium. I take 500 mg of Mag a day and 2000 mg of Vitamin D. I'll be interested with the Onc does my blood work to see if my levels are good now.

Very surprised there was no more reaction from the hormone creme comment from yesterday. Perhaps you didn't read it? Hmmmmm? :wink:

Have a good one!

Judy in bitterly cold MI

I have many responses for the hormone cream, all of them not publishable here, except that I bet your mouth didn't have a hot flash.

I think I answered that my Mother once brushed with tile grout. And, remember when women put a blue rinse on their hair to remove the yellowish tint. Well, my Mother took one of those capsules as a vitamin.

I would think that you would prefer that we not reply to the hormone creme incident. Perhaps we just added to your list...for later fun....

Or you could be like me and waiting to hear what happens over the next few days - you never know some ...good things could happen.

Annette.

Furniture moved and bookcase put together. That was a job. I just couldn't figure out how to get it started. Once I figured that out it went together easy. Then I had to stand it up, now this is a very tall bookcase. I was thinking of calling a neighbor for help but when I lifted a corner I found that it wasn't that heavy without the shelves so I managed on my own.

I am always careful with moving furniture Ginny sense I have gotten older. I never used to think only do and I pay for that every day now so I take my time and I bought some of those furniture sliders. They work great. It was the getting down and practically standing on my head to get the screws going that caused me problems. Luckily when I moved here I saved my little garden cart that I sat on to work in the yard. I am afraid to get down in the floor too much in case I can't get up. I have a knee that slips out of place once in a while That little cart works great for working with things on the floor or cleaning bottom cabinets or the bottom of the fridge. Thanks for being concerned though,really appreciate that.

Didn't get all of the moving things to dust done in my bedroom but I will get that next week when I get back from the Bay Area. I am learning to pace myself finally. I am very tired now so will spend the rest of the afternoon reading. There is still a lot of Spring cleaning I want to do but I know that I can't do it all at once anymore.

Talking about taking the wrong thing. My nieces husband and his dad went hunting. Some how they got the Polident and Alkaseltzer mixed up. Needless to say the stomache didn't get better only worse.

Well I guess I will get off of here and check on line and see if I can find a Spice Rack. Who would have thought they would ever be almost impossible to find?

OMG, hormone cream and toothpaste, Polident and Alkaseltzer? Doesn't taste (as in tastebuds) come into play somewhere here lol. Bud, that dye tablet could just slide down with a swallow of water but I can just imagine your panic...did Rose laugh? lol

Lily, I'm glad to hear you've stopped overextending physically. Like you, for years I thought I was amazon woman and I pay the price for it now. That yard aid thing is a great idea. Since childhood, I've had a habit of squatting when I had to do tasks close to the floor. I still forget and get in that position and can't move. I eventually have to get on my knees before pulling myself back up on whatever is handy.

Annette, tomorrow I will be in my office just like you. Of course with the difference, you will be in appropriate office attire and I will not be.

I'm beat after waking at 3 am this morning. I finally did fall back to sleep but have been dragging my butt around all day. Shutting the computer down for the night.

Have a good evening everyone.

Judy in KW

Ok, it's 3:30AM, and I'm awake. This cold thingy is miserable. I'm beginning to wonder if it's allergies. I had the house totally cleaned in the carpets for cat pee. And I've been miserable since. Almost went to the ER last night for the cough, and sneezing. Got so bad I couldn't even talk.

Now when I can't talk, it's serious!!!!!!! Wait until you meet me! LOL

I just took Benadryl and my Albuteral inhaler, and hoping it eases my breathing.

The carpet cleaner dude left fans running to dry the carpet and I turned them off last night because I think they were churning up the cat dander and making it difficult for me to breathe!

So forgive me for whining. I'm up. It's the middle of the night. I feel like crap. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and feeling better! I hope.

Judy in MI