Introduction

missy1028

Hello! My name is Missy and I am the daughter of a lung-cancer survivor. My mom, Carolyn, was diagnosed in 2003 with stage 3 lung cancer and I thank God that she is still here with me today. However in October we were informed that the cancer has not only come back in the other lung but has also spread to her brain. She lost mobility in her right foot due to the tumor in her brain and has since recieved radiation for it. Although she regained movement in her foot she has become very week over the past couple of months. I visit with her as often as I can and offer whatever support she needs. My step-dad takes care of her but he could use some help physically and financially. Although my mom has applied for disability it has not come through as of yet. I am basically here for encouragement and ideas to make her life as comfortable as possible. This is a hard pill to swallow, but I am trying to accept the fact that my mom is terminally ill. I pray for her everyday and just ask that God restores her appetite for life and keep me sane.

Welcome Missy. Glad you found us , we want to help.

What treatment has she had for that brain mets? They usually can zap it. Was that where she had the radiation? Have they started Chemo? Keep us posted.

Donna G

Missy, welcome to the site where no one wants to be but where hope and support are abundant.

Many of us have experienced the devastating disappointment of having our cancer return after a remission. I can't tell from your post how long your mother was cancer free or stable but it may have been awhile making it all that harder to wrap your head around this. Treatment can make one weak so give that some time. The best medicine for her right now is hope. Check out the thread for late stage survivors and read a couple of them to her every day even if it's on the phone. Others have found this helpful with their loved ones. This is not a death sentence anymore.

Judy in KQ

Hi Missy,

I know your walk. I lost my Mom to lung cancer when I was young. It just plain stinks. Make sure she is being kept comfortable. The radiation to her brain should help. That is when they found my Mom's LC was in her brain.

Should she complain about pain, get right on it. We had Hospice intercede for us, because the doctor's wouldn't give her the proper meds for pain because they were concerned that she would become an addict. What a silly thing to think or even say.

You've found a good place in this web site. The people here are amazing and so supportive.

Keep us in the loop as to how you are doing, and how she is doing.

Take care,

Judy in MI