Introduction - I'm Helen

HelenS

Hi everyone, I'm Helen, a 65 yr old retired lady living in north central Wisconsin. It's been a scary 24 hours. I went to the doctor yesterday thinking I had pneumonia and came home with a diagnosis of lung cancer. There's a lot I don't know yet. I'm waiting on a call from my doctor this morning to meet again, discuss a biopsy and the future.

I'm not new to cancer. I'm a 30+ year survivor of Hodgkin's and an ovarian cyst that had a low grade contained cancer. I went through a few surgeries and over a year of chemo for the Hodgkins.

On the light side I love dogs, gardening, my grandkids and being retired.

Hi Helen,

You found a great place to be as you journey through this next phase in your life. We call this the place no one wants to be at, but are glad they found it.

Sounds like you've got this in perspective, based on your past cancer experiences. When you get more information, be sure to post the details so we can support you.

Judy in MI

Welcome, Helen. Glad you found us.

This first time is the scariest. You'll feel better when you have a treatment plan in place. Ask lots of questions when you see the doctor, and let us know what you find out. This is probably all stuff you already know, since you're already a cancer survivor.

No matter how early or late stage it turns out to be, you'll find others here with a similar diagnosis. Let us know how we can help.

Hi Helen - just want to greet you. As you already know from your previous experience, the initial waiting can be the worst part. As Bud said, things are less scary once you have a treatment plan in place.

I am 63, and although not retired yet, also love dogs, gardening and my grandkids. Please keep us posted when you have more information. This is a great site for support.

Diane

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did find a nice list of questions to ask on one of the discussions here. Have it printed out and in my note book. At least I did learn previously to take notes and always ask questions.

I have an apt. with an onc tomorrow morning. Till then still waiting in the unknown zone.

Hi Helen,

Welcome to LCSC,you couldnt choose a better place to be than here, everyone is so supportive and friendly and with such a wealth of knowledge of Lung Cancer,you wont go short of excellent advice.My very best wishes for an excellent prognosis.

Hi, Helen, welcome to LCSC. You're certainly on the right track with a good attitude, prepared questions, notebook, info in your profile signature area, etc. When you find out the type and subtype of cancer and what treatments are being considered, post the details and you can get tips from the community which collectively has seen it all.

Another great resource is cancergrace.org (GRACE — Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education). GRACE is led by Dr. Howard "Jack" West, a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions online. A lot of us are "dual citizens" and have the same usernames there as here.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Sorry for the circumstances that led you to find us - but as you can tell the support here is great. I remember not so long ago when I found this site - everyone made me feel so very welcome. The list of questions to ask that is floating around here are great to use - it is a wonderful thing to have a piece of paper to turn to because the situation is just so stressful.

Let us know if there is any way we can help you - someone here is always willing to lend an ear that's for sure.

Annette

Hi Helen. I too am glad you found us. You sure were smart enough to look for support real quick.

You said you have grand kids, does family live near by, do you have them to help you get to appts, or treatments?

Hope your weather is as nice as ours in Minnesota has been the past couple of days.

Keep us posted on what is going on and how you are doing.

Donna G

Welome Helen. Glad you found us so quickly. Even though you've been thru it before, it's just awful when you think you've beat it and it comes back. We'll wait with you and hope for the best.

Donna asked an important question, is your family nearby? This is a wonderful supportive family who have walked in your shoes but I found it especially important to me because my family is all at a distance.

Keep us posted. We'll be waiting.

Judy in KW

Yesterday spent with initial apt. with oncologist and pulmonary doctor. First local, second 35 miles (one way) away. The good thing is local hospital has a new cancer center opened in the last year. It's affiliated with major hospital. I was impressed with the facility and the staff.

Also spent yesterday and this morning informing all my family and close friends. I'm the oldest of 7 (one brother deceased) and I have a sister and brother here in town. In fact my brother lives with me. Then have another sister and brother less that 100 miles away. And another brother in California. My daughter is near Seattle and another daughter in Texas.

Thanks everyone for posting...I'm going to just enjoy this weekend and do not much of anything....next week will be busy again.

Helen so glad you have family close by. And I do understand about that getting the word out to all the important family and friends who need to know. Glad that's behind you too.

Was it accidental or did you omit telling us the final staging and treatment plan. I do understand if you were just sick and tired of hearing yourself say it as you filled in family members. I've been there myself where I just could even get on here to talk about it. Rest up and enjoy your weekend and let us know where you go from here when you feel up to it. Chances are one of us has done the same treatment.

Judy in KW

Hi Helen!!!! I love dogs, gardening, grandchildren, and being retired too! It sounds as if you are on the right track. I was dx'd in the fall of 2004. I was staged at llla OR b ~ depending on what doctor you ask. Here I am all this time later doing pretty good, if I do say so myself. I'll be thinking of you and sending positive energy your way. Keep us in the loop.

Kasey

Helen, I'm sure you are scared. But did the bronch tell them it had spread? The PET will give a broader view just remember it can pick-up on infection and inflammation as well as cancer. Small cell is not the awful news it used to be as people are living with it and nsc. You've been through the drill before so I will remind you, once the dx process is complete and a treatment plan is in place, you will begin to settle in.

Hang in there. I'll be waiting with you for your results.

Judy in KW

Wow what a day!!! But good news...Yes I have lung cancer but it's better than I thought. I received a final diagnosis (after bronch and PET) today based on the testing done of limited small cell lung cancer.

My cancer involves the originally seen tumor and lymph node plus 2 more lymph nodes right about the current tumor.

IT HAS NOT spread to other parts of my body.

The plan is to treat it aggresively with chemothraphy and radiation.

I will recieve chemo 3 days a week, every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. This involves 2 different drugs. On Day 1 Cisplation and Etoposide on Day 1,2 and 3. I will receive radiation every day, Monday through Friday.

I meet with the radiation consult tomorrow afternoon to find out what they will be doing.

My chemo starts on Monday, March 7.

I also will have a brain MRI done on Thursday March 5 and I will have a port inserted surgically since my veins are so bad. That will make getting blood work done and chemo much easier.

Overall this is really the best of bad news. It could have been so much worse. This is cureable!!! The sun is shining brightly in my world today.

Congratulations Helen - it is indeed good news. Sounds like your doctors are top of everything and I know you will be happy to "get the show on the road". A port is great - most of us who do have them are glad we do.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Diane

Hello again Helen,

Good news for sure. I'm an almost 4 year survivor, that is facing a possible reoccurance, and I pray and hope for good news like you! You sound so positive, and that is 9/10th of the battle.

Keep us posted. We care. We want to help in any way we can!

Judy in MI

Congrats, Helen. It's great to hear that it's only limited. And you'll be started on treatment in less than a week. It will no doubt be challenging, but having a plan that's moving along always feels better than waiting and wondering. Keep us posted.

Helen,

Curable is a great prognosis! Chemo isn't ever easy, but it's a means to an end, and here's hoping you get thru it easily and it works it's magic for you.

Please keep us posted and I wish you the best.

Cindy