help

julieann

hi! my name is julie. i have created an account for my dad. he has had surgery for a pancoast tumor and is still having alot of pain. the drs cant seem to find him any relief.... PLEASE help us with any information that you have we are desperate!

Hi Julie,

I'm so sorry your Dad is suffering so badly. I have no experience with that type of tumor, but pain is pain right? My Mom had tremendous pain in with her lung cancer. The cancer had spread to her bones, causing her huge pain.

With Hospice help we finally got her on a regime of Deragesic pain patches, combined with liquid morphine.

Tell us more about what's going on so we can try to figure out how to help!

MI Judy

Hello. Yes several of us are survivors of Pancoast tumors. As you can read by clicking below in My Story, I went to the Dr. because of chest and shoulder pain and found out it was because of a Pancoast tumor. I was treated with radiation and chemo before the would do surgery. Was your Dad? After surgery there is also pain but different. 2 of my ribs they broke to get into my chest never healed so at times I become aware of this now, also all they do to your chest muscles to get in may cause some permanent changes. With a women the sqeeze of a bra is intolerable for some.

What is he using for pain?

DONNA G

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Judy,

we are now back from the Mayo clinic and trying a new drug (cymbalta) and a cream to rub on his shoudler and arm. The cream doesnt help but the cymbalta helps him sleep at night! that is one good thing! Now i am struggling to rid him of the depression that he has been facing. I know that deep down my dad is a stong man and he can get through anything..right now though i need him to be there for himself! He is giving up..When i look at alot of the people that are on here it is so great and makes me happy that you are so positive!!!!! i just love it! and the fact that you are so willing to help! Dad doesnt want to get off the couch because it hurst so bad for him to move his arm. I tell him that its hurting him more to lay there every day. I completely understand that he is depressed and he is really hurting but i just want him to walk to the door and back or sit on the deck to get fresh air.. How do i help him if he wont help himself?

While we were at the Mayo clinic in Rochester MN they seemed as though the last surgery my dad had on the ulner nerve relocation was a waste of money and time for us. They couldnt believe that another doctor would do that! thier words exactly were "dont let anyone cut and paste on you anymore!" This kind of stuff makes me so upset that we trust the doctors to help us.. makes me wonder what kind of care have i been taking my dad to for the past year?

How do i help him if he wont help himself?

You can not! Your dad is very lucky to have you in his corner! IF you need some pick me up stories try the inspiration forum Julie. And Yes your doing great because think of the alternative for a minute!

Julieann, I'm glad your Dad can get some sleep now. That's essential to the lifting of depression. I am sorry he feels too much pain to move during the day. I know it's not the same thing, but I had my arm broken to bits in a car wreck years ago. After two surgeries, I cried when they tried to make me get out of bed. A nurse put a sling on my arm, essentially keeping it immobile. It really helped a lot. You might get Dad to consider it. If not, it sounds like the Mayo didn't recommend further treatment? What about hospice? They came for my niece providing those pain patches and a medication for any breakthrough pain.

Judy in KW

• 3 weeks later...

hospice probably isnt an option at this point.. i hope it doesnt go there either. I am being honest with myself to say that it might some day but for now hes got me :D .. Im doing everything that i can to help him throught this and without reading what you guys have wrote it would be alot harder!

GOD BLESS!!

• 4 months later...

sorry its been so long i just posted..that dad is still in alot of pain and its been two years. All of the chemo and stuff has been done for quite some time. For the past month he has been getting sick almost daily and is dizzy alot of the time. He is losing motivation to want to do much. I dont blame him thought its hard to get up and move around when hes always dizzy and falls down. Im very thankful that another holiday is coming and i get to spend it with him! GOD BLESS!

• 3 weeks later...