Hi I'm Debbi

Debbi

I don't even know what kind of lung cancer I have. Last Monday I had a chest x-ray that showed a mass. In August it was a nodule. Then came the CT scan, the MRI and this past Monday the PET scan which showed cancer in the lower right lung and some questionable tiny masses in the upper right lung.

The denial is beginning to go. I keep saying, it can't be cancer can it until they do a biopsy? Maybe they just think it's cancer.

I'm scared. The family internist is going to review my x-rays and "send me to the best doctor" in the city (Philadelphia). What should I expect? What do they do?

I'm sorry for rambling-it's just beginning to hit me.

Debbie, I am sorry that you have gotten this news. The beginning is the hardest, getting a firm diagnosis and an action plan helps.

Fortunately, Phila. has many great hospitals. My husband used both UofP and Fox Chase. I have 4 friends right now with lc. One at Abington, one at Doylestown and 2 at Fox Chase. All are getting good care and doing well. Feeling comfortable with your doctors and confident in their knowledge is important.

I wish you the best.

Hi Debbi,

Just wanted to be sure to welcome you for now. You will have many questions and people here will have some of the answers for you. You mention Philadelphia. Is that where you live? I am originally from right outside of Phiia, butl ive a bit further west now. There is a group from here who meet in King of Prussia a couple of times a year for lunch. In fact, tomorrow, 3/26, we will be there! Hope you can become part of our group. Be sure to keep us updated and hopefully we can chat more personally sometime soon.

Kasey

Debbi - Be sure you go prepared - there is a great amount of information buried in the posts here and one of them is the list of questions that you should take with you. I wish now I had taken a pad of paper with me at all times for all the questions that I just couldn't catch in my mind - I'm sure you understand how things go swirling around and it's hard to slow down.

Does anyone know where that list of questions is? I should probably copy it for future use.

I'm sorry you had to stumble onto this site but you will find a great deal of good people ready to help you as best we can. You may also want to visit cancergrace.org - although we try and point you in the right direction - at this site you can ask questions and medical people will try to answer - I'm certain most people here have asked a question there.

If there is anything that we can help you with - ask,

annette

Welcome, Debbi, but sorry you need to be here. This is the scariest part, waiting to find out the details and treatment plan. You'll feel better about it all once there's a plan in place. Annette is right, asking lots of questions and getting all the information you can is best. Keep us posted.

this is what Annette was referring to I believe

REGULAR COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR DOCTOR IS IMPORTANT IN MAKING INFORMED DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR HEALTH CARE. CONSIDER ASKING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS OF YOUR DOCTOR:

FOR ALL PATIENTS WITH LUNG CANCER:

• WHAT TYPE OF LUNG CANCER DO I HAVE?

• WHAT IS THE STAGE OF MY LUNG CANCER? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

• SHOULD I SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR TO ASSIST IN MY CARE, SUCH AS A THORACIC SURGEON, RADIATION ONCOLOGIST, MEDICAL ONCOLOGIST, AND/OR PULMONOLOGIST? WHAT IS THE ROLE OF EACH DOCTOR IN MY CARE?

• DO I NEED ADDITIONAL SCANS OR BIOPSIES IN ORDER TO PLAN MY TREATMENT?

• CAN YOU EXPLAIN MY PATHOLOGY REPORT (LABORATORY TEST RESULTS) TO ME?

• WHAT IS THE GOAL OF MY TREATMENT?

• WHAT CLINICAL TRIALS ARE OPEN TO ME?

• WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS TREATMENT, BOTH IN THE SHORT TERM AND THE LONG TERM?

• HOW WILL THIS TREATMENT AFFECT MY DAILY LIFE? WILL I BE ABLE TO WORK, EXERCISE, AND PERFORM MY USUAL ACTIVITIES?

• IN ADDITION TO TREATING MY CANCER, WHAT CAN BE DONE TO TREAT MY SYMPTOMS?

• ARE THERE ANY OTHER TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO ME?

• WHAT SUPPORT SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE TO ME? TO MY FAMILY?

FOR PATIENTS WHO WILL HAVE SURGERY:

• WHAT TYPE OF SURGERY WILL I HAVE? WILL LYMPH NODES BE REMOVED?

• HOW LONG WILL THE OPERATION TAKE?

• HOW LONG WILL I BE IN THE HOSPITAL?

• CAN YOU DESCRIBE WHAT MY RECOVERY FROM SURGERY WILL BE LIKE?

FOR PATIENTS WHO ARE TO RECEIVE CHEMOTHERAPY AND TARGETED THERAPY:

• WHAT ARE THE NAMES OF THE DRUGS, AND HOW ARE THEY GIVEN?

• WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF EACH MEDICATION? WHAT SIDE EFFECTS OR PROBLEMS SHOULD I WATCH FOR?

• WHAT CAN BE DONE TO LESSEN THESE SIDE EFFECTS?

• HOW OFTEN WILL I NEED TO VISIT THE DOCTOR TO RECEIVE THE THERAPY, AND HOW LONG WILL EACH VISIT TAKE?

• WILL I BE ABLE TO GO TO AND RETURN FROM THIS TREATMENT ON MY OWN, OR SHOULD I ARRANGE TO HAVE ASSISTANCE?

FOR PATIENTS WHO ARE TO RECEIVE RADIATION THERAPY:

• HOW WILL MY TREATMENT BE PLANNED? WHAT TYPES OF SCANS WILL BE USED?

• WHERE WILL I RECEIVE RADIATION THERAPY?

• HOW OFTEN WILL I RECEIVE RADIATION THERAPY?

• HOW MUCH TIME WILL EACH TREATMENT TAKE?

• HOW MUCH OF THE NORMAL LUNG WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE RADIATION FIELD?

• IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO RECEIVE CHEMOTHERAPY WITH MY RADIATION THERAPY? IF SO, WHAT ARE THE ADDED SIDE EFFECTS OF GIVING THE CHEMOTHERAPY AT THE SAME TIME, COMPARED WITH ONE AFTER ANOTHER?

• WILL I BE ABLE TO GO TO AND RETURN FROM THIS TREATMENT ON MY OWN, OR SHOULD I ARRANGE TO HAVE ASSISTANCE?

FOR PATIENTS CONSIDERING A CLINICAL TRIAL:

• WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS FOR STANDARD TREATMENT?

• WHAT OTHER TREATMENTS THROUGH CLINICAL TRIALS ARE AVAILABLE TO ME?

• HOW WILL MY EXPERIENCE DIFFER IF I ENROLL IN THIS CLINICAL TRIAL, AS OPPOSED TO STANDARD TREATMENT (DIFFERENT RISKS, EXTRA TESTS OR TIME COMMITMENT, SCHEDULE)?

• WHAT IS THE GOAL OF THIS CLINICAL TRIAL? IS THIS A PHASE I, II, OR III CLINICAL TRIAL? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

• WHERE WILL I RECEIVE THE CLINICAL TRIAL TREATMENT?

FOR PATIENTS WHO HAVE COMPLETED THEIR TREATMENT:

• WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT MY CANCER WILL RETURN?

• IS THERE ANYTHING MORE I CAN DO TO REDUCE THE CHANCE THAT MY CANCER WILL RETURN?

• WHAT FOLLOW-UP TESTS WILL I NEED AND HOW OFTEN WILL I NEED THEM?

• WHAT TESTS WILL I HAVE DURING MY FOLLOW-UP VISIT?

FOR PATIENTS WHO SMOKE:

• HOW CAN YOU HELP ME TO QUIT SMOKING

QUESTIONS TO ASK THE DOCTOR: (GENERAL)

HTTP://WWW.CANCER.NET/PATIENT/DIAGNOSIS ... THE+DOCTOR

Hi Debbi

Welcome to this great site but sorry that you have a need to be here. Members here have been in the same position you are now and know how difficult it is. We are here to help you in anyway we can whether it is answers to questions from our experience or just someone to vent to.

First when I was told that they found a spot on my lung, I spent hours online trying to get as much information as I could. I agree with being your own advocate and should have as much information as possible but it can be overwhelming. There are different types, stages, treatment options, etc. Once you get answers to these questions, things will get clearer and a plan will get in place.

Also when I heard that news, my mind went in overdrive thinking about all the people I ever knew who was diagnosed with cancer. Every friend also had stories about people they knew. Treatments have changed and greatly improved and as I mentioned there are many differences, so don't compare yourself to someone else. There are alot of success stories on here as well. Take care.

Hi Debbie. I am so glad you found us. We know hard this this is. I was told from a chest xray " Sorry to tell you but you have Lung Cancer"

Next was the barrage of Dr. visits and tests, Biopsies etc and then a plan explained. I suggest you copy that list posted above. Also bring someone with you. You need another set of ears. All this is so overwhelming you might miss something your told. Another good thing wound be to bring a tape recorder. THen you can listen at you own speed!

Please keep us posted on what and how things are going.

Donna G

Hi Debbi - I also want to welcome you here. I really can't add anything to what the others have already said - especially Randy's list of questions etc. to ask (wish I'd had that when I got started with this journey). I think the beginning is the hardest part, when you are so scared and not sure what is going to happen, but as everyone else pointed out, it does get better once you have a plan in place.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. This is a great place to come for information, advice and just plain support.

Diane

Hi Debbi, welcome. I agree with the others that you will feel better when you have a plan in place. You still have one more hurdle to jump. That is hearing the dx if it is cancer. For me, that was the worst, hearing it was real, having it named and stage. But you know, you just cry or scream or do whatever you need to get through the moment. Then I guarantee, with the support of your onc staff, family and friends, and even online support, you'll get through it. Hang in and post whenever you need to.

Judy in KW