Okey dokey

Joppette

Hi all,

When I got to the Lemmen Holton Cancer Center, I was dismayed when they asked me to do more blood work. I knew that if the spot didn’t grow, they would not have asked for more blood work.

The Oncologist came in and said what they hoped was an anomaly, grew by about 40%. I said that anomaly’s don’t grow, and he concurred. It’s a 4 mm tumor right now. Tumors don’t show up on the PET until they are 5mm or larger. They can’t do a biopsy on such a small spot, nor can they take steps to remove it until it lights up a PET scan. Understandably, they are not going to do an operation, or biopsy on something so small.

The good news is it’s still small. The bad news is it grew. Other good news is that they didn’t find any evidence of disease elsewhere in my body. Thank you Jesus. He did say there were some abnormalities in my blood work too, but nothing to be concerned with right now.

The treatment plan will start with a removal of my upper right lobe. My concern is decrease in oxygen capacity. He explained that they would do extensive tests to make sure I could maintain the oxygen capacity I currently have. If not, they will consider a partial lobe resection (removal). If the Pulmonology doctor feels I can’t handle that either, they will attempt to kill the tumor with stereo-tactic radiation. He said the best chance of it being gone is complete removal of the lobe. Either way, he said that I would NOT require Chemo-therapy afterwards. Again, thank you Jesus.

He said this was not a metastasis of my original tumor. This is a new cancer. It is still the slow growing, non-aggressive kind I had before. It’s entirely curable, barring any complications.

To put it in perspective, the original tumor was about 3 x 5 cm, versus 4 mm that this is. Big difference in urgency of care.

Even though clinically he can’t tell me that I have lung cancer again, he knows that I know I do. I’m sure they do this to protect themselves from law suits. He wants me to monitor my health carefully, and if I notice ANY changes, to call them immediately.

So! I think overall this is good news. I didn’t really expect that the “something” that showed up in February was “nothing”. But I am thankful that it is a slug, not wanting to make a lot of trouble.

So! That's it. Not as bad as it could have been, not as good as I'd like it, but overall I'm okay with this!

I think.............. :?:

Judy in MI

Judy, I'm sorry about your news. This all is "do-able" but not a lot of fun. I had somewhat the same experience. First the upper right lobe and then, 18 months later, the upper left. I am still breathing! :lol::lol::lol: Mine were considered two primaries, also. Anyway, you will get through this - especially with so many people here offering prayers and support.

When do you go back to the Onc?

Prayers,

Muriel

Judy, I dropped in here tonight to look for your results. Saw your post in the "air" this morning and you have been in my thoughts all day. Although, I would have wanted perfect results for you, I have to say that overall this doesn't sound that bad. At least it is treatable and "doable" with options. My mom had two wedge sections of her upper lobe and then had a second recurrence and had cyberknife. I wondered if stereo-tactic radiation was the same thing and from what I can gather cyberknife is a form of stereo-tactic radiation and is the least invasive. Just to share with you what the optimal plan would have been for my mom, they would have liked to be able to remove her upper lobe, but she was not a candidate for that kind of surgery. She was 81 at the time and is on oxygen for emphysema. She had the cyberknife procedure and has been cancer free for nearly 1 1/2 years now. Joel has also had great success from cyberknife and is over 2 years cancer free, I believe. Not trying to sell cyberknife, but just discussing possible options based on what little I know about it.. lol Sorry you have to face possible surgery , but for your sake I'm thankful that surgery is an option. You have a lot of friends here who will be pulling for you. With your fantastic attitude and all the prayers and support coming your way, you're gonna be fine. I'll most certainly be praying for you from here.

Hugs,

Sue

Hi Judy,

Just caught up with your news,sorry about it not being something you would have preferred,well I had what was described to me as 5 twelths of my right lung removed and I feel fine,OK I am a bit overweight and a bit of a couch potato,and would love to be like Bud,but I am feeling fine and just know with my retiral coming up on the 14th of May,I can focus on the gym work and swimming baths to improve my situation.Hoping everything goes well for you.God Bless.

Crap! Judy I did not want to hear this. I'm glad Sue got to ciberknife first. I didn't want to question your team, but I wonder about it too. I know so many people who have had success with it. Whatever the story is relative to your case, it sounds like you'll have to go thru some ordeal or other. We'll be here for you. And you can post and scream "I'm not o.k. with this, damn it. I just started feeling better without the spasms."

Judy in KW

Sorry Judy that you didn't get the results you were hoping for. Just try to take the positives out of the results. It was discovered early enough that you have options and once it is over, you will get those NED results again.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your support and positivity! I agree that the stereo-tactic radiation is the equivalent of cyber-knife. He mentioned both those terms in discussion of all of this. I definitely will consider this seriously.

I'm just too young to carry an oxygen tank around!

Thanks again.

Judy in MI

Judy - well this is pretty darn yucky news. But it sounds like you already thought it through. I will keep my fingers crossed and think and worry for you every day and we know you will do well. Although I haven't done enough of it - I understand that your lungs are one of those organs that can bounce back - so all we will have to do is that four letter word exercise. I'll have to think about that - maybe we can have a competition where we walk and count steps - lets come up with something fun - what do you think? (You should have seen me after climbing two flights to the grand tier last night- sigh - huffing and puffing - it's time for me to rope someone into exercising with me)

Annette

Judy - wish the news had been different but am glad to hear you seem to be handling it well and they have found it very early. I can relate to your concerns about your breathing. They removed my entire lung in '98 and even with just the right lung remaining, and my COPD, I did just great. No need for any oxygen at all and could do most anything. In 2008 after radiation on the right lung, it got harder. I asked about cyber knife, but it isn't done here and the radiologists discouraged it - surgery wasn't an option due to the location. It sounds like you have excellent doctors and you will make the right decision for you.

Diane

Dangit, not what we wanted to hear, Judy, but at least it's small, slow growing and you're on top of it. That gives you a good shot at getting back to NED, and I'll root for that for your.