Hello, I'm Heather and I'm new to the discussion boards.

My name is Heather, I'm 25 years old and I'm a lung cancer survivor. I had two-thirds of my right lung removed on January 20, 2011. This weekend I attended the first annual Hope Summit in Washington, DC. I had a really great time and met some pretty amazing people. I'm still emotionally dealing with the fact that I ever had cancer. The past few months I've felt angry because I feel abandoned by many the people in my life who disappeared after I received my diagnosis.

I'm a full-time college student at Wilmington University. I am currently a senior and will finish my classes at the end of the fall 2011 semester. I am majoring in Behavioral Science, and I plan to continue my education with a Master's degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and specialize in children & families. I work two jobs. One as a Certified Nursing Assistant, which I have been working every weekend for almost 6 years now. The last 3 years I have been a companion and advocate for an elderly woman in Philadelphia. I volunteer for the Big Brother/Big Sister organization as a Big Sister mentor, which I have been doing for a little over 1 year now.

Since experiencing lung cancer I feel that I do not have many people to relate and talk to. I am glad that I have found LUNGevity and the wonderful people involved with the foundation. Also, I am happy that I have now discovered the discussion boards! Since my surgery I have found fundraising as a type of coping mechanism. It makes me feel good about myself to give back to a charity that I feel so strongly about. Experiencing lung cancer has been painful, uncomfortable, and a roller coaster of emotions. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on the discussion boards, so send me a message :-) Also, during my experience with lung cancer I made a blog for friends, family etc to get information on my progress, thoughts, and general information about procedures/surgery. If you'd like to check it out go to:

www.heathergeraghty.blogspot.com

Talk to you soon!

Your too young too have Lung Cancer and do You smoke!!??

EASY just kidding! I know all about Lung Cancer and who it affects! Welcome to the boards here! You are too busy to have LC Heather!! But Living is a good thing and beating LC is even better! Sounds like you are doing both right now!! I am glad to meet you but sorry its under these circumstances. Look forward to getting to know you more and for a long time!!

Hi Heather!

Welcome to our family here. I'm smiling from ear to ear to see you here. For everyone else - I met Heather in Washington DC this past weekend and felt an instant connection (I think because Heather is the same age as my daughter). She is a wonderful young woman and way too young to have to deal with lung cancer.

Take care Heather!

Paulette

Hi Heather,

So happy to see you made it here darling. It was so awesome to meet you this weekend. Your story was so compelling, and I hope you share it often, as it is a testimony to this disease and how it does not discriminate with age, or other histories.

Be sure to see us in the Air in the Just For Fun Off Topcs each day. Now most of us are much older than you, but we would love to see a fresh young face giving us a young perspective.

God bless you darling. I was so touched by your story. And in meeting you.

We'll talk soon. I "friended" you on facebook too!

Judy in MI

Hi Heather. Your surgery was not too long ago! It takes a while to get over lung surgery but it sure sounds like you have jumped right back into a busy life style.

Glad you found us. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Donna G

Welcome, Heather! It's great to see you here and it was great meeting you in DC!

I think you've done a great job of bouncing back from everything you've been through, and Judy is right. We need more young perspectives like yours around here, a reminder to everyone that lung cancer sometimes doesn't care about age.

Hi Heather,

I am one of the lucky younger folks like you that gets to experience all of this lung cancer business. Good to see you on here, well, you know what I mean. Sounds like you are keeping very busy after surgery! Just wanted to say welcome.

Hi Heather, Glad you found us. I'm new here too. All these folks have been great. neat that you got to meet some. I understand what you say about missing some friends. I go through that too. I think some of them don't know how to approach it and are more afraid of hurting you. Reach out to them and reassure them that cancer can't ruin friendships. you're so young, maybe they haven't been exposed to it yet. Now they have been. Best wishes from me as you recover. I'll hope and pray that it's over for you. what a wonderful resume, keep fighting. Alan

Sorry you have to be here Heather, but welcome. Your youth and energy will hopefully help you breeze through this. That's the hope of all of us battling this beast, either experience a cure and/or handle the treatments well.

See you on the boards.

Judy in KW