A Leason Learned

paulette3

Before I was diagnosed with lung cancer I had a good life. After I was diagnosed with lung cancer I have a blessed life. I am blessed because I know who truly loves me and who will stand by/with me no matter what. If I had not had cancer would I have known this? I like to think I would have but I took the people who mean the most to me for granted. Never will I ever do that again. I hope that no occasion arises that I have to be one of their caregivers but if it does - please God let me take care of them as well as I was taken care of.

What has having lung cancer taught you?

Paulette

Nice post Paulette. There are so many things that this major change in my life taught me. Randy made a good point. Material things are not important.

I cherish relationships in a way that I did not before. The Tim McGraw song comes to mind because it was on American Idol last night, and it's such a beautiful song, and was sung so amazingly by Scotty and Tim. To live like you were dying. Sounds strange, but it's not.

"I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,

"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.

"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,

"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."

An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,

"To live like you were dyin'."

I do love deeper, and speak sweeter, and forgive without hesitation.

I can't say I live fully, like he did, but I try. It's funny, I laid in bed this morning thinking about the fact that my life groups with women are ending in a couple of weeks, and I no longer help at church, so what am I going to do? The little community that I live in has a ton of need. So I googled the web site of our town and found a lot of opportunities to do more, and that's what I'm going to do.

MI Judy

Like Paulette, having lung cancer has taught me who I can count on when the chips are down. The list is short but I cherish every one of them.

Unfortunately, I also learned I am not Amazon woman or as fiercely independent as I thought. If I have one hope it is to find the balance in the activity of living. At my age, it appears too much is as bad as too little.

Judy in KW

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned that if you have your health, you have everything. And that in an instant, that can be taken away. I try to appreciate my good fortune in surviving this hideous disease and not let petty annoyances bother me. I don't always succeed, but I'm tryin'!

Cindy