NBC Tonight

KatieB

So I am having dinner when I see Tom Brokaw mention Lung Cancer and women...etc.... Wow...haven't seen a bit on LC in a while...I get all excited....lets see if it is anything new...well...nope...same ol same ol....only this time they mention women and SMOKING and at greater lung cancer risk than men....but what about early detection? HOW do we go about early detection and what are the tests for that and what about the OTHER people who DO NOT smoke who are at risk...and what about the lack of funding and research and the limited treatment options available for those who have been diagnosed and what about support?> Where do people who are diagnosed with LC go for support?

and HEY Mr. Brokaw, aren't you supposed to be asking these questions?

I thought the final comment was the scariest:

"But experts say this latest study points to an epidemic of lung cancer in women still waiting to unfold."

To "unfold" - like a flower? like out-stretched hands? They make it sound pretty!

Yuck - and right - the article doesn't go in to much detail or issues of prevention!

SandyS

Hey Katie!!

Can be some real frustrating stuff at times!! :x:x ; In some ways though, I do like the fact that it's linked to womens health as that does get attention. Especially when they start comparing it with breast cancer.

On a positive note, I did raise my hand again last week. I have been asked by the American Cancer Society to be a spokesperson for lung cancer in Northern NJ. I'm scheduled to speak next week at the first 04 kick off Relay for Life dinner. Ya know, I'll have my buttons on and will be trying to pull the skeleton out of the closet. ACS, has there own issue's with this, but I figure better to try to change from within. Now hoping my voice and brain holds up!!

God bless and keep on keepin on!!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Bob,

I'll be pulling for you, that you don't loose the voice and your head is on straight. Nothing is worse than being mentally confused. I have had the confusion from headaches. Good luck on your speech and just know you will get the word out. Thanks for your efforts for this awful disease. Here's praying that we keep getting the attention from the people and find a "Cure"... Prayers for you and yours.

God Bless

Karen