Cancer Anger

KatieB

Recently read a great blog post from the editor at large of CURE magazine. The topic was Cancer Anger.

What do we do with the anger that cancer causes?

How do you deal with it?

I wrote a bit about this in my blog post that I sent you today. When the people that I cared for got cancer, and died, I was very angry at the disease. And yet? One in three folks are going to get cancer of some sort, so I tried to keep it in perspective. Some families get heart disease running in it, others have different diseases that are inherited, such as Parkinson's, or MS. My family has a strong history of cancer.

So when I found out I had it, I was not surprised or angry. My focus became intent on getting through the ordeal of surgery and subsequent therapy, and then getting back to living again!

Judy in MI

When I got cancer at age 22 I was angry. I was put "out" by having to have biopsies and surgeries and going in every 3 months for check ups. HATED how it was taking over my life because I had more important things to do....with my early diagnosis of cervical cancer, while my fertility was in jeopardy, my life was not.....

When my dad got cancer I was mad as hell. He had yearly physicals for his job working on private planes. He had to be "healthy" to be qualified to do his job. So when he had "something" on his lung, I figured it would be like me, he would have biopsies and surgery (MAYBE chemo if it was "bad") then we would get on with our lives.

Then I found out how bad it was. I found out how bad his type of lung cancer was and I learned about the limited options and even less funding for clinical trials and treatments.

He didn't have a fighting chance and that made me mad as hell.

It was eating me up inside...I couldn't sleep or function other than to help him...that anger fuelled me.

I learned though that it ruins you...it makes you tired and cloudy headed and miserable and regretful and you live in a world of "what ifs" and "this isn't fair"

Life isn't fair.

I decided to turn that anger into some thing fruitful and positive.

If lung cancer destroyed our lives and family I could work like heck to make sure no one ever had to go thru it the way we did.

I could focus on people who did survive and change things so that people wouldn't feel the way I did...mad, angry, robbed...alone.

That's what I did with my anger.

It's not all gone...there's always a little current of it underneath what I do because things haven't changed in large strides....we have to fight for every step forward of progress we make against this disease and it's not happening as soon as we'd like....but we are moving in the right direction.

Anger can rob you of so many things, but it can also inspire you too.

My advice, use it constructively to make the biggest difference--or else it just eats at you.

Hugs,

Katie, I concur. I've always been a volunteer and because cancer dominated my family, Gilda's Club was my charity of choice as well as where I give my time. In addition to being a Gilda's Club volunteer, I am a lung cancer mentor for many in my community.

I also volunteer at the Wellness Community Foundation in my town. Advocating for wellness is so important.

Good points!

Judy in MI