searching for help

dinapagnotta

I'm new to this site. My dad was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC last march and has been on Tarceva since then. He was responding very well but his last 2 scans are showing some growth so we're fearful he is building a resistance. We're researching supplements and other targeted therapies. He has the EGFR mutation with an exon 19 deletion. Anyone with a similar story with any advice for next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone taking IP-6 and Curcumin? or any other supplements that have worked for you or your loved one?

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us but sorry you needed to. Can't address your Dad's situation from experience except that I'm 3b and still doing well after more than 3 1/2 yrs. He may be done with Tarceva if he progressed on it but there are plenty of chemo options available. Let us know what his onc recommends. Someone here has bound to have been on it.

If you have questions about supplements, I would recommend cancergrace.org. Many of us here are members there as well. They have doctors that answer your questions from a general perspective with no charge. The last I checked they also had a doctor with a nutritional speciality.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Judy in KW

Here's a link to the discussion (a bit old) on Grace on IP-6:

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=4186.0

There are some studies on Curcumin, but more in the prevention arena than as a treatment.

I did not try anything to maintain the usefulness of Tarceva. Frankly, after 15 months, I was pretty tired of the side effects. Will I return to it in the future if that becomes an option? Probably - and will hope for the best as far as the side effects.

Here is also a link to second line treatment for advanced lung cancer on Grace - perhaps it will help:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2010/10/04/ ... lc-option/

I'm not a medically qualified individual either - but reasonably well informed.