1 year from my father's SCLC diagnosis

Guest alchemistria

Good morning to everyone of you!

I've run into this site when I was looking for information about my father's cancer and I have to admit it was very encouraging to find out how many people are facing the same situation that I do and making the same thoughts I do! Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences..It's been really helpfull and fulled me with optimism sometimes! :D

Although I try to keep up my life as I did before, I never forget what we went through the last year and I never stop worrying about the future. I observe the others all around me, at work, and I realise how the whole situation has changed me and my family. It seems to me sometimes that I can communicate with very very few of my friends and my co-workers because they have no idea of the feelings that I have had. Everything is normal and ok for them. :roll:

Now that we' re expecting to do a pet scan, I have even more anxiety about the results and the doctor's opinion... I hope and wish that we will have good news as many of you have! God bless us and for all of you facing the same situation I wish you the best! :wink:

Whether survivor or caretaker, we all know about scananxiety. Seems no way to avoid it. We just support each other through it like we will you. Glad you came back to share.

As for the changes that make you feel isolated, been there and done that too. I'm visiting family and friends in my annual trip to NJ and am noticing the difference just from last year. I'm almost four years into the journey, on treatment most of that time, and am having trouble putting myself out there. Cancer is a sobering event. You are not alone.

Wishing you well on your Dad's PET. Come back and share as you go and be sure to let us know the results in Update.

Judy in KW

• 1 month later...

Hello to everyone...

The results of my father's pet scan showed met in adrenal, so he has just started chemo with Hycamptin (Topotecan). He is doing well! The white blood cells are low but he is doing injections that help him cope with it. We do hope for the best...

A new MRI in brain will be done in some months to check if a gamma knife surgery will be helpful.

Has anyone of you had any similar experience?

Welcome back. Katie's experience sounds promising for your Dad. I understand the feelings of isolation and having friends that don't understand. I wonder if there is a Gilda's Club near you? Some one on one support would be a good thing for you! Or if not, just stay here and we'll give that to you.

I've heard the gamma knife surgery is very effective. Has he had whole brain radiation yet (WBR)? That is very effective as well.

Wishing you the best with all of this. Give Dad a special hug today.

Judy in MI

Glad the waiting is over. Not familiar with that chemo but Katie's comment about side-effects sounds encourage. I've known of a number of people who have had gamma or cybe knife with great success. Sound like your Dad is on the right path. No reason not to have great hope.

Judy in KW

Good morning!

My father is cuurently on his second round on Hycamptin (topotecan) and he seems to be good!

I thank you all for your wishes and your helpful advice!

Judy in KW, your words "No reason not to have great hope" are really encouraging! It' s like an oasis in the desert because my father's doctor is rather discouraging after the brain metastasis. Anyway...God will do his best to save my father! I have faith!

Joppette, yes, my father has had WBR and it helped him a lot! The side effects (little loss of balance) were few! I hope that gamma knife -if needed - will be a supplementary effective tool against the desease.

KatieB, thanks for your attention on dehydration! I will keep an eye on him!

Best wishes and special thanks to all of you!

Everyone I know currently who has had Gamma is doing very well!

My frineds mom in Va had hers and she is in her 80's and kicking cancers Butt every day and in every way!!

You are all so kind!

Judy in KW, I try to encourage me and my father by confirming him that he seems to be well! And it helps, I think!!

Yes, RandyW, I hope that my father's oncologist will do his best and if he suggests gamma knife, I have faith that he will do well!!

Best wishes and special thanks to all of you giving the same battle!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alchemistria,

Sorry I am a bit late in welcoming you here,typical of me I am afraid,recently retired,now finding I have less time to do things than when I was working,isnt that strange?

Sorry to hear about your Dad,I do hope all his treatments are totally effective in his cancer.I just think you might like to read my reply in this forum to Thriving,it may bring you some cheer.Looking forward to getting to know you.Byee.

Hi Eric!

I am glad to see your reply! Your story is very inspiring! As well as your photo! I do hope that my father will also have the privillege to hold his grandchild in his hands! I am 28 years old, not married yet, but it's on the way.... I have faith that he will be here to enjoy it!

The chemo seems to be working well and it will do miracles, I do believe it!

Hi Alchemistria,

I am sure your Dad will be around to meet his grandchildren and with God's blessing enjoy watching them grow up.The baby I am holding is my great niece-Mia,you can meet her in the photo album forum,under Max and Mia.I would just love to be a grandfather too,I have a daughter, Jennifer -your very age -does also have a really nice steady boyfriend Chris,but Jennifer is to busy being an actress and a Lecturer in English at the college I have just retired from(you can google Jennifer's website,just type in Jennifer Byrne-she's the actress from Glasgow).Bye for now.